Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm just referencing the below quote then I mentioned the WUXGA issue.

I don't know anyone that has successfully attempted it at all, so..

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    Tsunade's being silly. I guarantee it will work given that the display cable(s) support(s) it. There are plenty of D820/D830 with integrated graphics and WUXGA screens.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Should I need anything more than the combo linked in the second page? This one: New Dell Inspiron 1520 15.4 WUXGA Matte LCD + Inverter | eBay Screen + inverter for $100?

"Onboard video ONLY for Inspiron 6400 / E1505
    WILL NOT WORK with ATI Video Card"

Is what it says in the description, so I imagine it will be a drop-in replacement.

4. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No that should be enough, you'd just have to remove the following screws:

- 6 screws on the front of the bezel
    - 4 screws on each side (total of 8 screws)
    - Integrated web cam, gently lean the screen over and remove the strip
    - Completely dislodge the LCD cable, should be this big green cable

And do everything in reverse order with your new screen and then try it out.

5. dido.86

dido.86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I was just wondering if it would be possible to swap my Dell Inspiron 1520 8600M GT 400MHz DDR2 graphics card for one from an XPS m1530 with 256MB dedicated 700MHz DDR3. I'd like to know whether or not they both use the same proprietary dell pci-express slot and if they are compatible in terms of pcb size - in other words are they interchangeable? I'm aware of the fact that the heatsinks are certainly different - that's a given, but I don't think it would be physically impossible to disassemble the cooling solutions and install the original 1520 heatsink on the replacement card. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated! :)

6. dido.86

dido.86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Another thing - is 1520's stock cooler going to be able to keep Core 2 Extreme X9000 within reasonable temperature boundaries? It says on the Intel's website that the TDP of X9000 is the quite impressive 44W as opposed to the 35W of my current T7300. Since X9000 is an overclockable CPU it's not really clear which frequency range that value refers to. I can only assume they are talking about the nominal frequency - which is 2.8GHz. But it's quite a raise from the 2.6GHz TDP 35W of the physically identical T9500. Weird.

7. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't done this upgrade but if it is the same physical size and has the same connectors, they should be compatible. However, I haven't gotten around to doing this type of upgrade, but try it out and let me know how it turns out for you. I might be inclined to do this as well, as I started playing some games as of late as well.
    This was one of the reasons as to why I just stuck with the T9300 (2.5GHz) because I wasn't sure if the X7900/X9000 would be kept cool enough to run. I avoided the T9500 because I wanted a brand new processor but it was ridiculously expensive ($250) while the T9300 is ($125). But those prices must've dropped by now, I think I saw the T9300 brand new for $90. If you had a 1720, I would probably recommend using the an Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor because it's larger size allows there to be more ventilation, but I'm not sure of the adverse temperature effects it would have (if any).

8. dido.86

dido.86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, as it turns out, we're out of luck here. After doing some extensive research on this matter it became clear that the m1530's the video circuitry is actually on the mainboard itself which makes this little operation of ours impossible. DELL were probably aiming to make 1530 thinner and a bit cheaper to make and by doing so in some ways it inevitably became worse. It is a damn shame though. It would have been a really nice upgrade. Having said that, it's already obvious that 1520 is one of the very few laptops which can offer an upgradeable/replaceable graphics card solution. And in our case - unfortunately there is nothing to upgrade it to.
    As for the X9000, I gave up on this idea, because I did have my doubts about it being able to run cool enough in my system. So I placed an order on a new OEM SLAYX T9500 instead. It's simply the safer bet and just as fast. Thanks for the advice ;)

9. chrishug

chrishug Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello All,

I'm currently running my Inspiron 1520 with the T5550 processor. I was thinking of purchasing the T9500. Is it as simple as swapping the old one with the new one, or am I going to need a new MOBO to do this? Please advise. Thanks in advance :)

10. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    The worst you'll need to do is update the BIOS. You won't need a new mobo.