Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. mumpsimus

mumpsimus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The cache is 50% bigger, but I'm not sure in what situations that will help (maybe someone else knows). Regarding the increased frequency, it's a 16.7% increase, so that won't make or break whether a game plays well (and that's only for operations not performed on the X3100). As far as cooling, it looks like they're both 35W, which I interpret to mean the power savings of going from 65nm -> 45nm is balanced out by the higher clock speed.

Because it can't hurt, and can only help, I say go for it -

2. lucirz

lucirz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I LOVE threads like this. Keeping old Iron running. I have a few older machines, running windows 10 and all working great. I have a acer 7720, maxed out ram at 8gb, it has a 120gb ssd, and a 750gb storage drive, new high res screen, etc. The only downside is I CANNOT get my scroll working with the touch pad on win10. It baffles me. I also have an acer S3 that is running awesome.

4. jsc1973

jsc1973 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No. The 1520 can take a Penryn, but only the 800 MHz FSB models, not a 1066 like the T9600.

The best CPU you can install in an Inspiron 1520 is a T9500.

5. FireLantern

FireLantern Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Okay I did not go trough the whole thread but I saw some of you posting CPU and GPU upgrades here. Is this unit special by being able to upgrades these or how are you guys doing it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It depends on the model of computer. My acer 7720 can upgrade the CPU and ram, but not the GPU...but the 7720z can upgrade the GPU....It all depends on the notebook model. I am picking up a new CPU for my 7720 after Christmas, just to give it a speed bump. it's a T7300 in it now I think, i'm upgrading to the T9500. I can put the 9600 in but the price difference between the 9500 and 9600 is not worth the performance. So, 9500 it is. I will get a great bump in speed, without a load of money pumped into my ole device. For the most part, there are some upgrades available for older stuff. since most still had sockets on their motherboards for the CPU. Now, most chips are soldiered onto the board with no way of changing them without major MB surgery.

7. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Technically the best is the X9000. It's 2.8 GHz instead of 2.6 GHz, and you can overclock it, at least in theory. I say "in theory" because I have the X7900, which is also 2.8 GHz (but 4 MB L2 instead of 6 MB in the X9000; it was also a third of the price when I bought it), but with the X7900 it's impossible to run it at 3 GHz with sufficient voltage to be stable, and at temperatures that won't cause overheating. It might be with the X9000 since it's 45nm (as is the T9500) versus 65nm on the X7900, and should thus generate less heat. At any rate, even if OC'ing isn't really feasible, the X9000 would be better than what I have due to the cache, and better than the T9500 due to the megahertz (whether T9500 is better than X7900 will depend on the workload).

I love keeping old things running, but the 1520 in particular. You can tell it's from a decade ago, but overall it was so well built, especially for a low-end model. I also appreciate small touches like the rounded edges (which I appreciate more now that I'm a decade older, and is hard to find nowadays with the thinness trend), the variety of dedicated media keys (I miss those on my desktop keyboard sometimes), and the satisfying click of the screen as you close it.

I've wound up going back to it as my main laptop (versus when I posted in May 2015; when it was 50-50 with my newer one). That was only possible because of its replaceable battery (I'm on my 3rd/4th batteries currently). That's a feature that I'd like to have but is tough to find in new laptops; no matter how good a non-replaceable battery in a new laptop is, I wouldn't be able to take it to a coffee shop and use it on battery a decade later, like I still do with this one. User serviceability in general has been huge in its longevity. I've upgraded the RAM, HDD (and later to SSD), CPU, and WiFi (and the first two were really important to 10+ years), and additionally replaced the motherboard and screen due to component failure (and later upgraded the screen as well). Admittedly the mobo and screen are more than most users would do, and I wouldn't have if I hadn't been really happy with the laptop, but on most modern machines, most of those swaps aren't even possible, or are much more difficult.

Anyone else still using this as a laptop, or even a main laptop? I certainly didn't expect to still use this laptop in 2018, back in 2007. And indeed, I doubt I would be if I hadn't switched primarily to using a desktop (over 90% of the time). But particularly as I don't LAN much anymore and don't really need better graphics, I still haven't found that successor that matches everything I want, particularly at a price that I'm willing to pay.

Occasionally a lightweight tablet PC is tempting, but I rarely am in places where the weight or much longer battery life would actually make a difference, and I do like the larger screen. Occasionally a desktop replacement like the Asus GL702ZC is tempting, but they're either quite expensive (and thus tough to justify since I mainly use my desktop), or have flaws, like the GL702ZC's loud fans, which I know would bother me.

I have used more modern Dells through my job. They're a bit lighter, and faster (sometimes quite a bit), but not always as reliable (my current one sometimes decides to turn off its screen until restart when I undock it, for example), and don't have quite the same features that I do make use of (rounded edges, media buttons, WiFi toggle, optical drive, surprisingly decent speakers). It certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to have one, I just don't see a particular reason to pay $1000 to switch to one (and at least for a Latitude, I also don't really want to be reminded of work every time I look at my personal laptop).

8. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That screen docking "feature" is windows, not dell. My surface 3 did the exact same thing when I docked that. I still break out my good ole acer 7720 from time to time and give it a run. Speaking of which, I need to again to do windows updates and driver updates. I do enjoy my lightweight devices as I travel ALOT. Therefore having a lightweight device is great. I am finding myself wanting a 15" device lately. Most likely I will be plunking down for a new xps 15 2 in 1 maxed out when available.

9. mumpsimus

mumpsimus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have most of my family on Vostro 1500's. The most demanding users are my kids, but for the time being they're still able to play Minecraft and Roblox at 1600x1200 resolution.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is roblox still a predatory mess? or did the developers clean it up from the perps and bullies? My son loved it, but started getting bullied bad. He has autism and does not understand things like that. So, I removed it from the computer.