Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    So, I upgraded my Inspiron to an X7900, and am stable at 3 GHz at load. No cooling mods done. Might be able to hit 3.2 at load, but 3.0 gives 92 peak temp at 1.225V, and 3.2 isn't stable at 1.225V, and with those temps I don't really want to push the voltage higher. Might possibly be able to shave a few hundredths off at 3.0 and save a degree or two; haven't fine-tuned it yet.

Has anyone else got above 3 GHz on the 1520 with the X7900 or X7800? I'm also curious what the max with the X9000 is. I don't supposed there's a way to download the thread and search offline with XenForo? Would be a lot quicker than searching 41 pages, especially since it's not possible to override the posts-per-page anymore.

Combined with going back to a 5300 AGN last month, I'm pretty happy with my specs now. This CPU upgrade has been a long time coming.

Only the 11th post so far this year... it's sad to see the 1520 going the way of the dodo. It's not my most powerful laptop anymore, but I still use it about equally with my newer one.

2. Ritccsr785

Ritccsr785 Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed an Intel Network 7260 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC half-height into my 1520 using that bracket you mentioned above and it works great. I'm still in the process of testing it but it instantaneously gave me an internet speed boost (after driver download from intel.com). I was getting around 22mbps downloads from the stock wlan card and now i'm getting consistent 117mbps downloads when testing internet speeds on speedtest.net. Working on internal wlan file transfer speed tests now.

3. eclipse05

eclipse05 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys!

I'm wondering as I would like to get a little bit more from my T9300.
    Now it's locked at 2.7Ghz using ThrottleStop but is there any way to go above that?

I was thinking about getting X9000 but it's too expensive (costs approx 200€) and according to Passmark CPU benchmark I won't get that much more with it :/

At the moment on stress test over few hours I'm stable at 64C so I think, it can go faster but is there a way to do it?
    Is there a chance to adjust FSB just a little bit?

... and if I will get X9000 is it possible to OC it with 1520 as BIOS seems to be not supporting any OC at all?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. schorri

schorri Newbie

Reputations:

Hi guys,
    is there any solution, after 3 yeas xD ?
    Did you found the correct address (or other bits which has to be set) ?

Found that video on youtube:

But I dont know what to do with that ini file, loaded it but nothin happend.

Thanks for help :)

5. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Good to know that it worked! Will keep that in mind should I ever need really fast network connections on it in the future... though for now the 150 Mbps N router I have is actually doing quite well for me.

See the PM I sent this morning with X7900 benchmarks. As a note, the price difference between the X7900 and the X9000 is the exact reason I went with the X7900 - the X9000 was about 3 times as much, and even if it gave another multiplier thanks to being cooler, that wasn't worth it. The X9000 should OC just like the X7900, though.

(X7800 is also an option; it clocks at 2.6 GHz by default but is also unlocked. So largely it will be the same, though X7900 is likely to be the better-binned parts. I would've gone with X7800 except I caught a cheaper X7900 when I went to buy it)

As a note, while the max I have is 3 GHz, the limitations are temperature and voltage. If I rose the voltage a bit, I might be able to get a higher temperature, but it's already too hot to raise the voltage any. I'm using ArcticSilver 5 thermal compound; if you use something more high-end, you might be able to raise the voltage a bit, and hit 3.2 with an X7900. Or you might get a golden CPU. Alternately, the X9000 may hit 3.2 even with AS5 and without a golden CPU since it's 45nm and thus runs cooler. But again, even if the average X9000 hits 3.2, I wouldn't consider it worth the extra money.

6. zackaryvs

zackaryvs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm new to this forum. I signed up just to take part in this thread.

Last summer I acquired the 1520 (free from family for transfering their docs from this to new one), but haven't bothered with it until now. It's actually a pretty decent machine. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB and put Arch Linux on it. Even installed the wireless firmware.

I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading my t7100 to the t8100? It's got about 119 million more transistors (291m vs 410m), clocked higher about 300MHz and has 1 more MB of L2 cache. The transistor count and cache number sounds pretty promising, but in real world use would it be worth it? For example, would it help with watching 720p60fps youtube videos, multitasking, etc?

Edit: Also the reason why I'm wondering is because I can get a t8100 for pretty cheap on ebay (about $8). Also going to buy a new battery for it. (one it came with was dead)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  7. davshu

davshu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know about your specific processors, but I did notice a big difference when I upgraded mine (especially after the SSD).

Here are my Windows Experience Index scores before and after:

Before (Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2.2GHz):
    Processor: 5.5
    Memory (RAM): 5.5
    Graphics: 4.8
    Gaming graphics: 4.6
    Primary hard disk: 5.3

After (Intel Core 2 Duo T9500, 2.6GHz):
    Processor: 6.2
    Memory (RAM): 6.2
    Graphics: 4.7
    Gaming graphics: 5.9
    Primary hard disk: 5.3
    [Note: After the new CPU was installed the graphics card (256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT) found an update it could use which increased the Gaming graphics score.]
    [Note: Updated the BIOS to version A09.]

After (250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD):
    Processor: 6.2
    Memory (RAM): 6.2
    Graphics: 4.7
    Gaming graphics: 5.9
    Primary hard disk: 7.7

8. mumpsimus

mumpsimus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my experience the most noticeable increases in performance came from the SSD and the 8600M GT. The former is going to make file-based operations faster, the latter makes a difference when playing games (like Minecraft). The SSD also has the beneficial effect of increasing battery life.

That being said, if you're going to all the of work of upgrading your CPU, I'd say the cost has come down enough to justify at T8300 ($12) or T9300 ($25). (And consider that these options added $400+ to the cost of an Inspiron 1520/Vostro 1500 when they were new.)

Also affordable are 1600x1200 screens and webcam w/stereo microphone.

9. zackaryvs

zackaryvs Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the Intel X3100 integrated graphics, so can't do the gpu upgrade. SSD would be nice, but too expensive for this thing as it's not my main PC, just a lazy side computer for surfing on the couch. (have a tablet, but don't use it much now haha)

Hm, I would consider the T8300, but the cheap $12 ones are from china. The only one shipping from the U.S. is $25, which at that point, might as well go with the T9500. I don't have a lot of money at the moment so I think the T8100 should be enough as it's basically the same chip as the T8300, just at a lower clock speed. I don't need it to be the best cpu, just enough to make it run cooler, and make streaming services like twitch run a little better. And a higher res display would be nice, but not necessary. Especially since I got integrated, don't want to bump up the res and have it lag more because of it.

So you think the 8100 would improve performance (and/or run cooler?) though since it's a newer chip?

Thanks for your input!

10. zackaryvs

zackaryvs Newbie

Reputations:
    If you did notice an improvement, I probably should too... the T7500 and T7100 looks like it's basically the same chip just different clock speeds and cache. They're both 65nm and have 291 million transistors. The T8100 and T9500 both are 45nm and have 410 million transistors... so basically a similar upgrade... hm, I might do it then.