Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. eclipse05

eclipse05 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for a reply. I'm already cool off.
    I gave it a try for one more time and I installed drivers from Dell website... Still no success :/

I'm going to return it although I think, it will be easier/cheaper for them to send me another card. Intel 5100 for example :D I'll try to make it work.

Don't worry, I'm not gonna tell them that card is running perfectly fine under Ubuntu and I feel good about that as they didn't inform that card is not running under Windows. Or at least, it's nearly impossible to make it work under Windows with normal human being computer skills.

2. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Yeah... if the auction didn't say anything about "only works on Linux", that's fair. It's like when I bought a laptop that was sold as working, but by default wouldn't display a picture either to its display or an external display that was known-good via VGA. Maybe it's technically possible, but if it takes that much effort by default the seller really should have tested it more/not sold it with the implication that it would work as-is.

What exactly is the difference between the black, white, gray, and blue wires, other than color? I switched back to the Broadcom 1390 today since I plan to give my 5300 to a friend who has less reliable WiFi than I do (even when I have the Broadcom), but I really don't know what differences the wires cause, if any. I don't think I ever have used a blue one.

3. RussianEnthusiast

RussianEnthusiast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The wires connected to the two antenna's on the top under the display.I've used blue+grey wires in my case because they're longer than white/black but connected the same way.
    That still works good and I think in the future will be the same.

4. Sladetic

Sladetic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, stumbled on this thread after looking for some help fixing my old Vostro 1500. Made some progress (replaced dead 8600 GT), but could use a little help.

The screen was pretty dim, even on the brightest backlight setting, so decided to try out a new inverter to start. Got the part, and ended up snapping off the LCD ribbon cable connector on the LCD panel. D'oh! Came off in three little parts. I assume there's really no way to fix this, so I'm going to use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a higher resolution panel...haha. It could've been the backlight anyway, I guess?

So here's my questions:

1) Will a different resolution monitor be plug-and-play, so to speak? I want to go to 1920x1200 (WUXGA) for 1080p movies. If I install it, will it give me a signal, any resolution, when I boot up at least?

2) Can the 8600m GT handle that kind of resolution? T7500, 4gb ram. If not, what panel do you recommend?

3) I have credit on Amazon. Does anyone have links to recommended vendors for replacement LCDs? Any resolution, really. I see a lot of reviews that say their replacement panels are dim, which is the issue I've been trying to resolve in the first place. I have a brand new inverter, so doesn't need to include one.

Thanks for any help!

5. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    1) If you buy the right display, it will be plug and play.

2) Obviously you can't run the latest games at the max resolution, but it will be fine for everyday things.

3) Don't about Amazon; I always source everything from the cheapest guy on eBay...

6. RussianEnthusiast

RussianEnthusiast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 8600M gt supports displays with resolution 2k so it will run your FHD just easy.
    Common movies with 24\25 fps would be ok but about 60fps movies I'm not sure.
    I am buying usually on Ali from the seller with most cheap price and not too bad rating.

7. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also, letting you guys know that I'll probably be upgrading to a newer laptop (most likely the new Dell XPS or Dell Precision) still haven't decided on which one, leaning towards XPS but not sure.
    I'll try to help who I can, but as of next week, I probably won't be using this laptop at all.

8. veselatakurabiika

veselatakurabiika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I went from 1520 to precision and...from now what must be 40-50 laptops I've dealt with internally it is always on top :)

Why not using it at all? Are you selling? :p

9. Apollo13

Reputations:
    Cool; good to know that there shouldn't be any major difference. Just helped a friend upgrade the WiFi on his 1520 last weekend and used a black, gray, and white wire.

:( No 1520 for life? Eh, I suppose you can upgrade. I considered doing so myself last year (and did switch to a desktop for non-mobile use a few years back), with the Precision being one of the options I looked at. The 1520 isn't quite the top performer that it used to be at LANs anymore.

10. Apollo13

Reputations:
    So, I have a bit of a problem. The original screen on my 1520, a matte one, has had a reddish hue when it first starts since approximately last May. It goes away gradually, and within a couple minutes, everything looks normal. So, I hadn't paid much attention to that.

However, today, it took a turn for the worse. Now, about 10 seconds after it turns on, it turns off completely. So, if I boot it, the BIOS screen appears, but then disappears in about 10 seconds as the BIOS loading is finishing. Then, when the Windows welcome screen appears, the screen turns on again, but turns off a couple seconds after the desktop appears. If I connect to an external monitor via VGA, the internal screen appears again, but only for about 10 seconds. And, if I try to do a special boot menu to go to a Live CD, the screen stays off after the while-loading-BIOS turn off, so I know it's not just a Windows or driver problem.

The good news is I have a backup LCD, and it works with that one. So the GPU and motherboard are okay. It also works when connected to an external monitor via VGA with no internal LCD attached. However, the backup LCD is glossy, and I prefer matte.

So I'm wondering, what is likely wrong in my primary LCD? I haven't had an LCD fail before, so I don't really know which symptoms indicate which components failing. I already disassembled my LCD once a few years ago out of curiosity, so I reckon I can probably disassemble both and use components from the glossy one to revitalize the LCD one. I'd just like to have a good idea what the problematic component is likely to be so I won't be swapping out components at random and hoping to get lucky.

Oh, and I can also confirm that if you get the right monitor, they are plug-and-play. I wouldn't hot-swap them (change them while the computer is on), but doing so while it's off works as expected and without problems.

In other good news, I did swap my CPU while debugging this, and am back up to my original T7500 from a T7250.