Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. veselatakurabiika

veselatakurabiika Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Funny you should say that...both...

I recently tried having Inte 6300 and Dell Dw1501...both at the same time. I was under Arch Linux, not sure about Windows, but they worked perfectly :)

Had some fun time with them...

I just had to choose which one to use.

However I can confirm both cards working separately under Windows.

2. RussianEnthusiast

RussianEnthusiast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Surething I've tried one by one.Once both at the same time.
    Idk why it doesn't work for me.Will try more when I get access to 1520.Since that's not mine laptop.

3. eclipse05

eclipse05 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys... I need some help :(
    I received today Intel wifi link 5300 agn but it doesn't work ;(
    I have the latest driver: 2012-01-22, 14.3.2.1. I intalled Intel PROset wireless.
    I have no idea what to do...

Device Cannot Start - error Code 10

4. RussianEnthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm sorry to hear that.This card shoulda work without any trouble.
    Can you show an auction you bought from?Ask the seller about for which laptop this card is supposed to be?I think there's should be editions for HP/Lenovo/IBM laptops and
    a different one for Dell laptops.The difference is the internal firmware of the WLAN card.If he would say for dell laptops ask him for full refund.
    Do you know any lunix-based system?Try to run your machine on it for test your card.I have ran my Intel 2230 with Ubuntu OS finally but it doesn't work under W7.

5. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's possible that there are electrical differences between the two, I tried using a more recent up to date one but the load was greater than I had anticipated, so I was unable to.

6. eclipse05

Reputations:
    Thanks for quick response.
    This is an auction form ebay: Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN Pcie Wireless N Card 533AN MMM | eBay. It says it will work with Dell machines.

I posted it to my friend and he is going to test it (he has three different Acer laptops). This way we should find out is it a problem with compatibility (refund then).
    But if my new Intel5300 will work with his machines but not with mine he will give me his Intel5100 (swap then)
    It will be sort of win-win situation. I know 5100 is a bit slower and less efficient than 5300 but after loosing couple of hours on that thing i don't care any more. :mad2:

To cheer up I put some new stickers on my laptop though :laugh: it looks much better now.

7. RussianEnthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks like that's a correct one.Then I hope this card will work with acers.
    Any card is better than the stock one :)

8. RussianEnthusiast

Reputations:
    I want to tell about my success.
    I've fixed my issue(error 10) on Intel centrino 2230 wi-fi card.As I assumption that's a bug because of drivers.In my case I've installed the last drivers from Intel site for W7 x64 with no errors or something but the card wouldn't work and I've had "cannot run the device error 10" in device manager on it.Finally I tried ubuntu OS there's the card works more than fine but under W7 it can't start.
    So I did more research+sleepless night and now it works with W7.The driver which worked for me is an old one 29/11/11 ver 15.0.0.75 downloaded from lenovo site.
    About not enough length for wires because of the half-sized card.That's ok you can use for those needs blue+grey wires.Speeds are OK.I have up from 25Mbit to 46Mbit.
    I think Intel 6230/6235 will work with this driver too.Also I've got the bluetooth works from Intel 2230 however Wi-fi stopped to work.The bluetooth is working if you install the card in WPAN FCM slot.
    222.png IMG_20140405_025656.jpg

9. eclipse05

Reputations:
    So the thing is... My friend tested this card with his two of three Acers (third has different wifi type connector). No success...
    He had the same error as I - Code 10
    He spent at least two hours on that but finally he gave up :)
    He said, it must be a problem with card...

So I got it back and I tried Ubuntu. It worked perfectly fine! So there is no any technical issue with the card itself.

My Intel 5300 is a full card so three cables can reach connectors :)
    Now I'm downloading some old versions of drivers from Lenovo site... I'll give it a try... we'll see

EDIT:
    Oh! I HATE it so badly! I've lost my patient! I installed few older drivers but still the same problem ;(

10. RussianEnthusiast

Reputations: