Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I appreciate the input, it was the one on the top that's why I linked it, that one you linked is indeed a far better deal, I was hoping someone had experience with using the panel with the integrated graphics, I was assuming it could easily drive it, as I believe there were c2d laptops with x3100 and 1200p screens, hoping someone can come in and provide some real experience with using integrated graphics and a 1200p panel, buyuing a motherboard graphics card and screen is far too much to spend in a laptop that's old and not very good anymore. I could justify just buying the screen, but not the rest.

I am upgrading from this 1520 in the near future to something newer, I just hate 1280x800 screen resolutions.

2. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can try it, but it's an expensive try. The real issue is that the Inspiron 1520 was never sold with 1200p screens, as I saw it, this was more of a compatible luck-of-the-draw upgrade towards the end. That's why I'm uncertain if the x3100 can support the 1200p, but perhaps you should wait for someone else to respond and see if they can help out.

The motherboard + graphics card (new & unused) would run you around $130 in total, as I just checked on eBay. But perhaps you would be better of putting that money towards a newer laptop.

3. Netherwind

Reputations:
    This is a holdover laptop as my 6400 completely died finally, this is just surviving me until I get my settlement that allows me to buy my laptop, $130+$100 in a laptop that's already 4 years old is a waste in my opinion. Especially considering the laptop itself is not exactly 'great', it's a cheap consumer laptop, after using my sisters 6400 (the one that died) and this 1520 I can honestly say I'd never buy an inspiron, let alone the horrible resolutions provided, hence the reason I wanted to go for 1920x1200, which is a much nicer screen, the other reason was that the 1680x1050 screen is nearly as much, the difference being like $20.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I don't think X3100 can drive WUXGA, and that was only really offered on the Latitude/Precisions with CAD grade cards. All in all, just go to WSXGA+, you might need a new LVDS cable.

5. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    The current Inspiron-line is horrible in terms of build-quality, if you have to get a new laptop, then I'd recommend looking at the XPS 15 or DV6T Quad, those are good high performance machines. I've had mine for about 4 years and I can attest if you put in the right equipment/parts it'll last you a good 5-6 years easy. I'm probably going to get a laptop next Fall, as I'm thinking my current laptop will be able to hold me over until then, but if it's still running come then, I probably won't get it a new one until this one dies.

6. Netherwind

Reputations:
    Oh no, I'm not even looking at a consumer grade laptop at this point, I have around 1.5k~ to spend on my laptop, I'm looking more into a precision or a latitude right now, or a sager w/ a 6990, rather different but I haven't decided what I want overall. The 1520 isn't badly built, it's just...an Inspiron.

I have a 120GB SSD 16GB of RAM a 6230 (which hates the 1520 bluetooth wise.)

I just wanted to upgrade the screen because it'll make this a great beater laptop if I can't use mine or someone else needs to use the laptop.

7. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Yeah, I thought you wanted consumer-based laptops, but hey, if you have cash to spend, I would recommend the Precision M4600, you can get that bad boy for around your price range. That's the line I planned on upgrading to once this laptop runs its course.

8. Motyang

Motyang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my inspiron 1520 is still running great. but the lid is full of scratches, obviously my daughter couldn't resist scratching it :). but so far it's been a good backup laptop. the battery is not as good though.

9. Netherwind

Reputations:
    Question: Anyone have an Intel 6230 working w/ Bluetooth on their 1520? I can get wifi to work flawlessly, but the Bluetooth drivers refuse to install properly, any ideas?

10. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Did you download the appropriate drivers? Did you enable Bluetooth in the BIOS?