Dell Inspiron 1520: Viable After Market Upgrades

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mihael Keehl, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The original company that developed that was Hitachi, you should look into getting a replacement DVD+/-RW drive and then installing the drivers for that. I've found a replacement part on eBay here, which should work with your laptop because it's made for it. It comes with the software this way at least you'll have a working optical drive, if it doesn't work right away, send it back to the guy because the issue is with your motherboard then.

2. MasterSgt

MasterSgt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmm tnx... +rep

3. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Yup sure thing, I should also remind you that you can get a blu-ray drive for your optical drive bay as well. If you feel like spending $80, that's the cheapest it goes for on eBay, at least the functional ones anyway.

4. arnierobert

arnierobert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Intel GMA3100 owners will have to buy a new motherboard + Nvidia GPU module to get discreet graphics or use ExpressCard and do external GPU or eGPU.

@Tsunade_Hime
    I have a 1520 with the intel graphics, how hard is it to obtain a new mobo and graphics chip and replace the one in it versus do something with an eGPU? Also which would be cheaper? I don't care about the portability so much as the cost.

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Depends on what you want to do.

You'll need to buy the motherboard KU926 (Inspiron 1520) or WY041 (Vostro 1500) (both are the same thing, just different BIOS) and a GPU (UW390 = 8600M GT or KU907 = 8400M GS, though the 8600M GT costs only a few dollars more). So you are looking at ~200 dollars to go from X3100 to 8600M GT.

For the same cost of going to 8600M GT, you can setup a GTX 460 DIY e-GPU but realize that is only for a external monitor. It will not work for your internal display.

OR you can put the 200 towards a new laptop, up to you.

6. arnierobert

arnierobert Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The reason I was interested in upgrading was so I could play ut3 at a playable frame rate. Right now I get around 13 fps with what I have on lowest settings at default resolution. I thought with the intel chipset on this one I could use that nvidia driver workaround to output to the internal display.

Edit: Just got home from work and I feel like an idiot... It's an Inspiron 1525 not a 1520. How does that affect my upgrade prospects?

7. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    It's generally the same platform, you'll be using Core 2 Duo Processors, however, I don't think the 1525 is available in a discrete GPU, if you want to play games, you will have to use the DIY GPU because the the 1525 is only available w/Intel Graphics.

8. ronss

ronss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    when i had my inspiron 1520, i sure liked it...i thought the silver case with blue lights were cool...i just bought a inspiron 17r- hopefully i will like as much as the 1520 i had

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just acquired an Inspiron 1520, it has the 1280x800 screen and the integrated graphics, has anyone updated their screen before and verified the x3100 graphics will drive a WUXGA panel with decent enough acceleration?

DELL INSPIRON 1520 1521 1525 1526 LCD SCREEN 15.4 WUXGA | eBay

This guy has a ton of them, and it's roughly $20 more than the 1680x1050 panel, and cheaper than the 1440x900 one.

Thoughts?

Edit:

I assume I need to find an inverter that can work with that panel too, huh?

10. Mihael Keehl

Reputations:
    Umm, dont' fall for those retarded cheap, compatible screens. That's worth $91.95, you can get one with an inverter as a combo deal from here fro $99.95:

New Dell Inspiron 1520 15.4 WUXGA Matte LCD + Inverter | eBay

I've used them before and they offer warranties on their product as well. However, as for the the graphics compatibility, I don't think the WUXGA (1920x1200) will work with the on-board graphics card. Perhaps the WSXGA+ (1680x1050) will work, but don't quote me on that.

If you really need screen space and etc, you should probably get a motherboard and graphics card yourself and replace your current mobo. They are cheap now, especially the unused ones go for somewhere around $110 on eBay. Just remember, that the part number you looking for is WP044, it will have the option for a graphics card.

The screen I've shown there should be adequate for your needs, they not only offer the best price/performance ratio, especially since they stopped developing these screens. ScreenAid isn't something I would trust.