Dell Inspiron 1520 Fan Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by veselatakurabiika, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunnyChrono6

SunnyChrono6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Mihael Kheel
    I wasn't sure whether the inspiron 1520 would support 1066mhz ram,I thought it would just downclock to 800mhz(because they're both pc2,right?).But if the max. the 1520 supports is 667mhz(same as in my vostro),I guess the max he could overclock to would be 800.My mistake if it doesn't support 1066mhz ram.

I don't understand what you mean by you haven't found an easy guide......for overclocking the gpu or the fix in case it fails?I didn't mess with my 8400m gs till it failed either,so I can understand you being cautious,but if it's any help my friend with the 8700m gt(same as 8600m gt)has had his laptop for longer than me,and even though he pushed it very far,it didn't die on him.That's probably because he usually uses a cooler most of the time.But if you can keep your gpu temps so low(way lower than my friend's),IMO there's very little chance of a problem(unless one of your chips have died before?I feel it starts being problematic at >70c).

Anyway,if you're looking for info how to overclock it,both me and my friend(both 8-series cards)have used XtremeTuner.I think he once had a problem with that though,so he started using the NVIDIA System Tools(which isn't as good).If you're looking for how to (temporarily,maybe longer in your case),just inform me and I'll tell you what you need to do.

2. veselatakurabiika

veselatakurabiika Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, according to Intel you cant go beyond 4GB RAM, and Michael obviously has 6GB. Unfortunately on the issue of RAM frequency there is no documented experiment on the web which confirms or overrules overclocking to 800MHz.

[An interesting tread, hopeless thou...]

I bought 2x1GB Corsair sticks 4 years ago [Not sure whether PC2-5300 or PC2-6400, I would bet it was 6400] and after changing and successfully completing diagnostics I started getting BSOD screens very frequently. I changed back to my 2x512MB PC2-5300s and everything was fine. This sticks are back home and I will get my hands on them in August.

It seems strange that the Intel GM965 Express Chipset works with PC2-4200(533MHz) / PC2-5300(667MHz) and will run PC2-6400(800MHz) at 667MHz although it supports FSB 800MHz...I dont have much time now, but as soon as August comes I will either report success or post pictures of a 1520 on fire. :yes:

I got 4°C off the CPU with AS5. With the same stress test I posted above the temp was at 51-52°C. Considering that I was reading 65-67°C idle before using I8kfunGUI and AS5 that's quite an improvement :) I tried undervolting just to get used to it but RMClock doesn't let me - m540 cant be undervolted.

Thanks to Michael's detailed description and tranquilbarley's help I now know why Commander Wolf is right and there is no point in wasting effort...the 1520 fan will handle the cooling when I'm on the way. As for retro gaming :) I'll have to get Michael's cooling pad.

Thanks guys, I'll post results when I get the parts...

3. SunnyChrono6

SunnyChrono6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Mihael Kheel : any update on overclocking your 8600m gt?

4. Mihael Keehl

Mihael Keehl Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't tried yet, but will do it when I get the chance (maybe in a few days) I have an exam on Tuesday so I'll be booked til then. I will share my results with you guys, just wanted to know, XtremeTuner right?

5. cat824

cat824 Newbie

Reputations:
    hi,

im new to the forums. im also an inspiron 1520 user and was interested in the overclocking of the 8600m gt.

has any1 got any news on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.