Dell Inspiron 15 7580: Any owner?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Future Science, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Might be a defect, perhaps talk to tech support to see if you can get a replacement.

I've decided to return my Inspiron 14" in favor of the 15" 7580 model.

There's some good Black Friday deals for the 7580 this week and I'm just more productive on a 15" screen despite the heavier weight.

I'll post an update on this thread when my Inspiron 7580 arrives.

2. johnny21a

johnny21a Newbie

Reputations:
    I am surprised you give such feedback on the screen since it's an IPS panel I would have expected better.

I am looking into buying the model with the i7-8565U.

Can any of you owners comment on the battery life ?

The machine will be for my sister, with main use just some office apps and browsing, and eventually some photoshop work (not professional grade, so color-proofing is not a big deal)

3. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pulled out of the Dell 7580 and got an Acer SF315-52 (15.6") instead.

The Acer does not have a discrete GPU or Whiskey Lake CPU, however it's close to 1 lbs lighter, has a bigger battery rated at 17.2v (meaning no throttling on battery).

Both were the same price after tax on Black Friday, if I did not have to lug the laptop everyday to class, I would have gotten the Dell for the better specs.

4. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got the Acer turned out to be a lemon...

Powered it on once then put it to sleep to take a shower, and could not power it on again that night. It was in a very weird sleep mode which was consuming power but cannot power on, the laptop was very warm to touch on the bottom.

Next day after the battery drained fully, I was able to recharge it to full and power it on again and update the BIOS which fixed the issue. However, I returned it anyway because this should not happen brand new out of the box.

Also, there were still intermediate freezes and touchpad issues even after the latest BIOS update, so I placed an order the Dell 7580.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  5. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  6. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Laptop arrived yesterday, the factory OS install piss me off. Why are manufacture turning off the advanced power options in Windows nowadays?

The laptop is all I expected it to be and the BIOS options seem more featured than my Dell G3.

Keyboard travel distance is surprisingly not as good as the 14" version but better than the G3, trackpad is big and precise however I prefer the feel and precision of plastic trackpad on my G3.

Has good quality internal components, mine came with an Intel 9260 Wi-Fi, 256GB Toshiba NVME, Samsung 42 Whr battery, SK Hynix DDR-2666 and 2.5" hard drive bracket.

Temps are good and the same as the 14" version I returned, the 8265U can undervolt the same as the 8250U -100mv using ThrottleStop.

I only have three minor annoyances with the laptop which are not deal breakers for me. The screen is just average, I got a newer version of the BOE panel seen the review above. The colors accuracy is not ideal and the max brightness is about 230 - 240 nits. Color temperature seems a bit cool, probably 6800K - 7000K. Screen is better quality than the the 14" version though which was glossy and darker.

Exhaust fan pushed hot air backwards and downwards, I'm not a big fan of this orientation of hot air exiting the system. I prefer the exhaust fan setup of the 14" version and my G3, where this is a gap just above the keyboard and hot air exits in front of the screen panel moving upwards.

Default BIOS settings and default Windows install, I don't know why the default BIOS settings for this laptop is not optimal settings. Also, the BIOS does not report DDR-2666 installed even though HWMonitor does. Windows came with advanced power options missing, McAfee installed (on all Dell laptop but why?) and more bloat software than my G3.

All in all, a great travel laptop for my classes which I will enjoy using after I do a fresh install on Windows and re-paste. Considering the price I paid, I think I got a good deal and good performer for my daily tasks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  7. Oemenia

Oemenia Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone who has this laptop, how portable is it? I could've gone for something bigger with a GTX 1050 but got this purely for that reason.

8. Rangrith

Rangrith Newbie

Reputations:
    Would be interested in knowing whether it is lightweight as well.

Any feedbacks after a few weeks of use?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. Oemenia

Oemenia Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have mine now and so far I'm pretty happy with it. However the keys are far too small, anyone else feel this? I feel like I am typing at half the speed.

10. Rangrith

Rangrith Newbie

Reputations:
    I received mine a few days ago, and I am very happy with it. I have a Precision 5530 (equivalent of the XPS 5970) for work and was contemplating buying the XPS for myself. I am very glad I went with a cheaper and very decent alternative.

The laptop seems well built, even though the one fan is a bit disappointing. The keyboard and trackpad are great. The palm rests are comfortable and do not get greasy as if you had eaten an entire chicken with your bare fingers. The XPS owners know what I am talking about. Fans can get noisy when playing, but I'd rather hear that than the atrocious coil whine of the XPS. It is pretty light as well, slightly heavier than the XPS, but definitely not a strain on your back.

The screen is not as bad as some make it to be, even though vastly inferior to the XPS. It is not suited for photography professionals, but I have had laptops with way worse displays, even in a higher price range. The purples and blues are not accurate, but the red part of the spectrum is decently represented. Overall the contrast is good, which makes it a pleasant display for me.

The speakers are excellent for bass, not so much for treble (saturation).

I undervolted the CPU by -90 mV and the GPU to 850 mV. Temperatures are good and stable. I am able to play Dota 2 with 60+ FPS.

Not sure about the battery life yet, it seemed pretty low when watching videos on Youtube (2hrs30 estimated time), but I am still unsure which video card is used and that might have something to do with it. I can't seem to find the power saving options either...

I dual boot with Ubuntu 18.04, and had to start by removing all the useless softwares (there are a ton of them), and free up the image and dell partitions on the SSD as there was little free space (128GB SSD).

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase, and would definitely recommend. I even find it more pleasant than the XPS in some aspects.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 9:20 AM