Dell Inspiron 15 7548

Discussion in 'Dell' started by eldoret, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greybrahms

greybrahms Newbie

Reputations:
    I am interested in this laptop but am curious is someone could provide some more information?

1. Is the screen glass?
    2. If it is a glass screen, is it glass edge to edge or does the screen have a plastic bezel?

Dell says it is not edge to edge, but Youtube reviews/videos seems to show otherwise. So if someone could possibly post some better photos of the screen edge/display picturing this part it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

GreyBrahms

2. mmckechnie

mmckechnie Newbie

Reputations:
    The higher end models that come with the 4k display are covered in edge to edge glass. The lower end models that have the 1080p display have a glossy black plastic bezel around the screen.

3. txsizzler

txsizzler Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the 4K model, and like you, upgraded the HDD to an SSD (cloned the drive). As far as noises go, this has to be BY FAR the quietest laptop I have EVER used! Doesn't get hot at all, and is really quite the elegant piece.

Sounds like to me that it's one of two things.. either your CPU or GPU fan is hitting/rubbing against something, or you are hypersensitive to noises. If in doubt, bring it back and trade it in for another. $1100 is a lot to throw down if you aren't happy with it.

4. Starfast

Starfast Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any of you is able to use vlc or chrome with AMD gpu? Everytime I play a 4k video from chrome or vlc, playback is laggy! This is because of the Intel gpu. From catalyst control center I can't switch these applications to use dedicated gpu... It's normal?

5. geordieandy

geordieandy Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all.

I have been playing with my one since it arrived last night and struggling to get good scaling / compromise between the 4k on this laptop and a 1920x1080 21.5" screen via HDMI - have to make external monitor main one to get anything half decent :-( Also Google Chrome won't play YouTube 4k Videos without stuttering but Internet Explorer does fine!

Don't think I have managed to use anything that actually used the AMD graphics yet either as you can't set Google Chrome to use them (for 4k Videos etc) even when on mains power as chrome.exe is set as "power saving" within the AMD Switchable Graphics stuff and "To ensure compatibility, this application is locked.

Oh and the keyboard is the same size as the one I have on my Venue Pro 11 so overall not sure I will be keeping this despite the 16GB ram etc - please convince me to though!

6. Quicklite

Quicklite Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What's the battery on this like on the 4k model?

7. jbrian31

jbrian31 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just ordered my 7548 4k model with the low the end 8 gig ram and 1 TB HDD from Dells website. They are selling it right now for $999 which is cheaper than Best Buy's version and I got a military discount, with an additional 10% reward cash for using their credit card program, so that's another $86 back I can use for accessories in their store. Total cost with tax and free 2nd day Fedex was $863.

Using the additional saving to upgrade as soon as I get it to the 16 g ram and a 1 TB SSD. Does anyone know the exact specs for what the motherboard can support for ram speeds? All I can find is the ram amounts supported at 1600hz, I would think it should be able to drop in 1866 hz, might not be worth, havent decided.

8. Brounoh

Brounoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1600 and DDR3L. I got a duo of HyperX in mine.

9. Luca7993

Luca7993 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    what is the battery life for the version with 1920x1080?

thank you

10. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Seems like dell kinda messed up on putting a lowered power GPU in this instead of something that can easily drive the higher screen resolution. This overall does seem like a great laptop though, I just wish there was a nvidia GPU in there instead of AMD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.