Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 -7386

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Clintlgm, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Clintlgm

Clintlgm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just bought one a Dell Inspiron 13 7386, I7 Whiskey Lake 8th Gen 1.8 Tubo 4.6
    with 512GB NVME (no Idea what SSD Hoping for 970 Pro or at least Evo) and 16GB Ram. Graphics 620. Windows 10 pro. 3 year ProSupport Plus: Next Business Day Onsite,
    I don't see a thread of these model so I thought I would start one. More post once I actually get my hands on this little thing.
    I'm typing this on my Asus G752VY so this is going to be an experience moving to a 13" 2-1 from a full-size gaming notebook. My intentions are that I don't really need a large notebook for my work, this will be much less to pack around sort of.
    I already got a docking station and its huge Kit-Dell Dock WD15,US,130W,1.1C,MDP. I'm not sure I'll be taking all that offshore with me and will look for something smaller and lighter to extend my USB C port for LAN and a few USB 3.0 ports I don't really need monitor connections for my offshore part of my work. Open to any suggestions
    Ordered a couple of right angle adapters so as to keep anything I connect behind the notebook out of the way on either side of the 2-1. Looking for anyone else's experiences with these 2-1 notebooks or whatever we call them.
    I'm still in shock that I have ordered a 13' notebook, I have always used 17" but times change and I don't game anyway.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    kojack and custom90gt like this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It’s the perfect size device for travel imo. I have it’s little brother the 13 5000 2 in 1 and I love it. Congrats.

Clintlgm likes this.
  3. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    Well, after mostly configuring this new 2-1, I found that the trackpad is not turning off with a mouse connected. While working with Dell Pro tech support I found that bit Locker was turned on as default. took me a bit to realize that my MS account had the Key stored and I unlocked all files and recreated all my backups.
    So I have no touchpad driver in Device manager, nor do I have the option in settings/trackpad or mouse. I don't see any touchPad software installed in Programs and Features. Anyone got any Ideas?

4. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    Next question I have for you Dell experts out there, My spec. say I have a 2 NVME M.2 slots a 2280 Up to 1tb SSD and 2230 up to 512GB, What would limit me to 1 TB on that 2280 slot? the only difference between a 1 TB 970 and a 2 TB SSD is a couple of chip all on the top side of the card thickness is the same for both, You think Dell has put some kind of limit in the UEFI?

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I doubt it, I would say that is the largest they offer as an upgrade.

6. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    Hope so, with only 1 drive I'll need all the space for what I do. Although learning how to do more with less. This is really difficult switching from a G752VY to a Dell Inspiron m13

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah I hear you. When I bought my inspiron it had a 500gb hard drive, I could not be comfortable with that space. I installed a 2tb firecuda which lasted 2 years then died. I am back to a 1tb SSD. I am not using my 1TB onedrive storage more and moving things to that as needed. I am going to be creating a lot of content for our two blog/video sites this year so storage is essential. I am probably going to move a lot to my home server and get that setup since storage and safety of content is critical.

8. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    Yea What I have done as a temp fix, put my 850 Pro that had all my data files on my G752VW I bought a USB 3.1 external case from HDE C type connectors and it seems to be opening excel and word and PDF files faster than the SSD onboard this notebook. This tells me if nothing else I'll need to put the 960 Pro M.2 NVME as a starting point. At least until I can find someone at Dell that can explain the 1TB limit on that 2280 slot. I don't want to slap my head again, like upgrading this from Dell 256gb to 512gb SSD I knew better and did it anyway. So I don't want to buy a 1TB and then later someone says oh the 2tb works great. Everything logically tells me that the 2 TB will work. all dimensions are the same chips are all on top and they both draw the same power. So unless Dell has put some limitation in the UEFI. I think only Dell can tell me this. I just need to free up a few hours to deal with them

9. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    Ok, my final solution, I decided to get the Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB. Took the back cover off and Joy, the 512GB from the factory was indeed installed in the 2280 slot. However, it was a 2230 card. Slow for NVME but about like an 860 was. Anyway, MR cloned old to new adjusted the partition C down to 300 GB leaving myself 600GB for my data E Consulting and F Storage the old SSD becomes D Data more than enough space for my purposes. Not bad for a cheap Inspiron 13 7386 2019-01-31_17-21-04 970 CD.png 2019-01-31_17-26-05 disk Management.png 2019-01-31_17-53-08 CD D.png

10. Clintlgm

Reputations:
    Solved after a couple of Dell tech support people I got one that was switched on. Downloaded Dell Command Update and installed ran and it found that I needed an Intel IO driver, that installed and no more issue with touchpad turns out it is a Precision trackpad support natively in windows 10 with all the setting available.