Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. FireLantern

FireLantern Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you go a few pages back in the thread you will see that backlight bleeding is pretty much present with every unit as there is a design flaw with how the screen is held be the bezels.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I use macrium reflect, they do a trial or a free edition, either will get you sorted, make an image then restore it and after expand the main partition.

3. MasteR's

MasteR's Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This applies only to FHD model, UHD model have different screen assembly and different mounting points(screw holes are on LCD panel sides) than FHD model. UHD users have limited options, unless you change whole screen assembly.

4. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am currently on the pre-meltdown BIOS 1.3.2. I noticed Dell released the 1.4.2 BIOS which has quite a bit of stuff listed in its description, but I was hoping to do some before/after benchmarking. I'm more concerned with it messing up my multiboot system tho :p lol. Another curious thing is there is an "Older Versions" link in the BIOS 1.4.2 update listing but it only gives you the option to download BIOS 1.2.0. Either way I have all 3 BIOS updates archived. But it could prove problematic if you wanted to roll back to the previous version instead of 2 versions ago.

Just use Gparted (boot disk) or Partition Wizard (Windows program) to copy disks and play musical drives. No need to worry about keeping the stock image really since you can always get it from the downloads section for your unit from Dell's website. As far as registration, you should be fine as long as you are reinstalling Windows 10 that came with your laptop. It will auto-register based on your hardware signature. Definitely set your drives in AHCI mode. If you want to focus on one drive only and dont feel like needing to physically disconnect the other drive in your laptop you can disable the drives in BIOS so the bootloader ends up where it is supposed to. The fact that it is NVMe is really only an issue if you are attempting to install Windows 7. Regardless, I would recommend setting up your clean install on a UEFI/GPT system rather than booting with the BIOS/MBR option full time.

I agree. Clean vanilla installs go off without a hitch now, so there is nothing to worry about. Dell has released quite a few updates to fix the 7577's quirks that were present early on.

Barring actual faulty hardware with legitimate manufacturing defects, I have discovered that the audio crackles more frequently and worse on my 7577 in Windows 10 when the power setting is adjusted towards the battery saving end and I am not plugged in. There is a noticeable difference when in performance mode vs battery saving modes. Also, I always crank my audio sampling quality to the max that Windows 10 offers because it adds more richness and depth, but the 24bit @ 192kHz sampling rate crackles considerably more than the next step down which is 24bit @ 96kHz. The stock setting Windows 10 clean install boots with is one more step down at 24bit @ 48kHz. All said, this warrants investigation from Windows 7. I have a feeling it is a Windows 10 scheduler issue. It may be able to be improved considerably using Process Lasso from Bitsum.

[SEE HERE:] https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/12589-windows-10-popping-sound-speakers.html

Some suggest setting minimum processor frequency to 100% as a workaround, modifying audio drivers/applications to run in compatibility mode for Win7/Win8, disabling advanced/power-saving features for hardware/software involved to help correct the issue, and also reducing sampling quality like I mentioned above.

[SEE HERE:] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/e12f0e37-e84f-4773-8bc4-cbe4ed65cc8c

According to the above it appears to be an Enhanced Intel Speedstem Technology (EIST) issue that occurs primarily when switching CPU speeds rapidly up and down frequently which has been present since Windows 8 and beyond, but is not present in Windows 7.

I agree for the mostpart, but where I have the worst bleed on my screen I have tried pulling the bezel away to relieve the stress and the bleed unfortunately did NOT go away. I have heard stories of people painting/sealing/taping the edges of LCD screens very particularly to improve the bleed qualities of a given LCD screen.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    @Maleko48

I had downloaded the original Meltdown BIOS myself as you mentioned, then days later i noticed it was pulled but never had installed in fear of it causing more issues then help.

This new one sounds like it addressed those issues but i am curious performance/temps wise what i does.

I will be waiting to see your results before i drink the Kool-Aid. :D

6. Vchat20

Vchat20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is basically the case and how I did mine. Imaged my drive just in case but then wiped clean and did a barebones install of Win10 and it picked up the Dell license no problem. Windows 10 actually makes activation painless these days.

As far as Samsung Magician goes, it is because it is an OEM drive. Doesn't matter if it is in AHCI or RAID mode, it refuses to see the drive either way.

7. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Looks like my Win7 install is 99% up and running with no major issues. Although the Goodix Fingerprint driver package did install, Windows Device Manager is still complaining with a yellow bang (!) . I tried disabling signed driver checking at the Windows 7 OS level in addition to manually loading it and none of them took, so I just disabled it. Least of my worries really. I did have to manually install Intel IMEI to get rid of the unidentified device in DevMan.

I managed to find a Win7-8-10 compatible Dell Touchpad Driver that came from the Inspiron 14 7447 and was recently updated January 2018. I have nearly identical Windows 10 touchpad behavior in Win7 aside from actually needing to *click* the trackpad with two fingers to equal a right-click. (On Win10 I can just tap with two fingers without actually needing to *click* the trackpad). It doesn't offer quite the same customization as Win10 but it does offer a few options Win10 does not.

8. rudiagusw

rudiagusw Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey check this out. Notebookcheck website already reviewed inspiron 7577 highest model, which is: i7 7577, GTX1060 max-q, 128 SSD, 1 TB HDD, UHD 4k screen.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...1060-Max-Q-4K-UHD-Laptop-Review.282650.0.html

The battery depleted 1.5 hours faster for WLAN usage only, from just 7 hours for FHD to 5.5 hours for UHD. For the rest of the differences, you can check it out for yourselves.

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. MasteR's

MasteR's Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine 7577 UHD came with 512gb pcie ssd (Toshiba XG5) and now 7577 UHD are shipping with SK hynix PC401 512gb pcie ssd. I don't know which one are better.

10. Maleko48

Reputations:
    My UHD is well worth the trade off when it comes to coding and being able to push higher pixel densities above 1080p. Some of the scaling quirks are annoying but most can be dealt with. Still beats my old laptop's best case of 2-3 hrs battery life when it was brand new.

alexhawker likes this.