Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Then it is too much and the laptop crashes while shutdown or booting and XTU resets.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Use throttle stop, much easier to use and will save your settings. Sometimes XTU just loses its mind even if your stable...

Tony96 likes this.
  3. OctateZero

OctateZero Newbie

Reputations:
    New user and new 7577 owner, decided to register and report after reading all 91 pages :)

My 7577 arrived direct from Dell today after ordering through Best Buy last week. It's the i7/16GB/1060 config. Came with 256GB SSD and 1TB spinny bits, which I swapped out for a spare SanDisk 1TB SSD I had on the shelf. I think I broke one of the plastic tabs along the rear edge of the baseplate during the first removal (didn't pop up as easily as I expected).

Anyway, just wanting to report a Samsung PM961 SSD, Samsung M471A2K43CB1-CRC RAM, and the LGD053F panel in this particular config. Immediately configured BIOS for AHCI and reinstalled Windows 10 on the Samsung, then added and initialized the SanDisk afterwards. Installed most hardware drivers from Dell.com support section, along with the current Nvidia.com drivers for the 1060. No issues at all.

I plan to run this mostly as a plugged-in gaming station (married with kids and no room, so a laptop that can be packed away is my only option). Is the Dell Power Manager app a necessary addition? That's the only question mark remaining on my to-do list.

rudiagusw likes this.
  4. Tony96

Tony96 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah me too. So pretty much everytime I start the laptop, I quickly undervolt by -0.105V, hit apply then change it back to -0.100V. It takes about 20-30s to do so, depending on your system.

If the XTU does annoy you, I suggest you use ThrottleStop. It has a lot of features and seems like a better for choice. Also if you decide to stick with XTU, here is the topic:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-under-volt-in-xtu-without-opening-it.802143/

Glad that you have received your new Dell!

I have downloaded the Dell Power Manager when trying to find a way to stop the fan from being too noisy. I saw a youtube video and noticed that there was a Thermal Management function (where you can set "Quiet") in the app. But when I opened the app there was no function like that at all.

There were just 2 functions, instead of 5 functions in the video. I did some research and knew that the app did not support the Thermal Management and other functions. I did not bother the first 2 functions much so I just left it there.

If by some chance you want to lower down the fan noise, there's this app that can help you do so.
    https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

5. FireLantern

FireLantern Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, glad to see you aren't seeing any stuttering with nVidia.com drivers like my bloody machine seems to like to do.
    All of the settings in the power app can also be found in the bios under the power options, I suppose it's less of a hassle to switch things in Windows but it's not that big of a difficulty so I'd recommend just uninstalling it if you are comfortable with setting things in the bios.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

6. revnja

revnja Newbie

Reputations:
    FireLantern and custom90gt like this.
  7. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got Windows 7 on my machine btw. Nothing finalized yet so it's mostly just proof of concept rn. Still got a few different installation configs I want to try before I commit. School and life are in full swing rn so progress is slowwwwww. lol

vibhawa likes this.
  8. FireLantern

Reputations:
    Well my unit had a sudden power off again and even an electrical discharge isn't helping this time.
    Guess whatever was wrong with the mobo didn't magically fix itself as the bloody "technician" expected. Guess they will really have to replace it this time and for **** sake this is annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm, not saying you don't have a hardware issue but I just learned today that there is a random reboot glitch affecting early meltdown patches issued by Intel... but I think it was mostly affecting Broadwell/Haswell platforms. Either way, keep us posted.

10. FireLantern

Reputations:
    Can you give me some sort of a link to where you found this stuff?
    It might be worth checking out as the repair shop doesn't work this week and I have to wait till Monday to bring the computer to them.
    I do doubt this tho as this has been happening to me since late December and I don't think I had the meltdown patch on at that time.

Edit: I did a bit of googling and the most I could find was that Specter/Meltdown patches affect reboots on Kaby Lakes. Now if only it would be able to (re)boot...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018