Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    EDIT:
    This post does not appear to be viable for most people who ordered the FHD 7577 and want to upgrade to UHD. The info presented here is still useful for those who ordered the UHD model and wish to upgrade their stock panel to the next level. As always though, please compare data spec sheets on panelook.com between your stock panel and prospective upgrade you are looking to swap in.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

For anyone interested in a UHD panel swap or upgrade, here are the top choices sorted by brightness:

Screenshot_20171214-082016.png

The first two Sharp screens are 100% gamut with best brightness to boot, but have a few thousand fewer hours of rated life. The brightest panel also has 30ms response time compared to the 25ms response time of the 2nd brightest Sharp panel.

Here is the second brightest Sharp panel specs:
    Screenshot_20171214-081926.png

Here is the best contrast screen with same brightness as stock UHD Dell 7577 screen (300) and equivalent gamut coverage (72%) but 5ms slower response time (30ms vs the stock UHD at 25ms):
    Screenshot_20171214-082116.png

Imo the Sharp screens win in the UHD category. Their perimeter bezeling makes their total physical size about 10mm wider and 6mm shorter than the stock UHD panel though, so some minor dremeling or plastic modifications may be needed in addition to adding your own mounting tabs with some thin sheet metal and epoxy... or you could just glue or double stick tape the panel in place possibly.

Here is the Sharp screen on Newegg (although I don't know if I would trust the seller in particular):
    It looks like the Dell MSRP price for this panel is around $600-700, but it can be found by a lot of sellers elsewhere for less than $200, however I am not sure as to the authenticity of manufacturer...
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=15Z-00YG-00257

Here is an NBR thread discussing the Sharp panel:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gs63vr-1080p-panel-switch-to-4k-igzo.796584/

Other considerations:
    The Sharp panel is " IGZO TFT-LCD, LCM " type.

The stock AUO panel is " a-Si TFT-LCD, LCM " type.

The mounting ears on the Sharp panel stick out to the left and right rather than top and bottom which may be where the difference in listed total physical dimension specs come from on the panellook.com specs, but the active areas are the same. Worst case scenario the ears may need to be either be cut off or some plastic removed on the case halves to accomodate them (if you don't feel like cutting them off) in addition to adding additional mounting ears to the top and bottom positions where the stock panel has them... or just use glue for mounting.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Sorry for the massive pics, but I tried editing the post and keep getting a weird error I haven't seen before...
    NBR-Error.png

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I wonder if they use different cables (6 vs 8 bit).

4. asbalasar

asbalasar Newbie

Reputations:
    so your preference would be 7567? I'm sorry for my bad english.

5. Maleko48

Reputations:
    So I had to jump through a few hoops on panelook.com but I was curious myself and wanted to see an actual panel datasheet. I registered a free account using my usual gmail account, but then before I could download I had to verify my "business" email which can't be gmail or any mainstream email I guess. So I used my school email account and it worked, lol. It got me 50 pcoins or some **** and the download cost me 30 pcoins... go figure. But I love data sheets with real info. Honestly I could've just based the 6 bit vs 8 bit argument on color depth alone (FHD 2 lane eDP @ 6-bit = 262K colors || UHD 4 lane eDP @ 8-bit = 16.7M colors), not to mention the specs details page specifies 6 bit for the closest model number to your panel.

LP156WF6-SPM1 details.png

The PDF datasheet is attached to this post as well.

Attached Files:

6. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Sorry I guess I should have said that I wonder if the FHD model comes with a 6 bit cable vs the 8 bit in the UHD. I'm not sure what all would be required to go from FHD to UHD aside from the panel itself.

7. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Here is the details and spec sheet PDF for the closest UHD model number to my panel:
    B156ZAN02.3 details.png

BTW in case you want to pull any data sheets for yourself, Protonmail works to verify a "business" account. ;)

EDIT:
    Based on the significant pinout differences, I would assume your 6-bit machine has a different mobo part number... If only we could get a part number from Dell for the FHD vs UHD mobos. I suppose the next best option would be to look in AIDA64 Engineering Edition to get more info on the mobo model number
    and see what we can find on the internet?

Attached Files:

8. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Right, but what cable comes in the FHD 7577?

9. Maleko48

Reputations:
    eDP connector - female - 1080p.jpg eDP connector types - male female.jpg
    See my edit above as well as previous panel topic posts. The FHD vs UHD panel cable differences are 30pin vs 40pin respectively on the panel end of the cable, but it is really the motherboard end that is the bigger concern.

Everyone else considering going out on a limb with unverified panel upgrades, I would highly suggest checking the data sheets for your stock panel and the panel being considered, it only takes a bit of fake registration hassle to get your hands on the legitimate specs of a given panel on panelook.com. Based on the significant pinout differences, I have reservations as to whether the FHD to UHD potential upgrade is actually a realistic possiblity.

Best case, the panel swap wouldn't work or wouldn't work correctly... worst case, some critical pins mate to the wrong connections on your motherboard connector and fry some circuits.

USEFUL LINKS:
    https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/t...re-first-hands-on-with-embedded-display-port/

http://www.lcd-cable.com/product_cat_list/eDP-cable-c18146.html

http://www.micro-coaxial.com/EDP-interface-connector.html

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-...tivity/lcd-coaxial-embedded-display-interface

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2023344-2/A101498-ND/2627319?cur=USD

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/2023344-2/?qs=/ha2pyFaduhs5U0EacsbOnPqGmIkLigvY9IVtexCCr8=

CAN ANYONE VERIFY:
    The number of connection points/pins the connector on the FHD mobo/eDP cable end have?

DISCLAIMER:
    Do your research everybody! Don't take everything I post for fact.

10. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Wierd question
    Does 7577 has mini pcie slot?

Sent from my Z2 Plus using Tapatalk