Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you want more than 16gb of ram, You will have to move up to higher clock speeds on the ram. But correct, buying faster ram for the speed is no need.

2. Rowan

Rowan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was debating between the 2400 and 2666 last night then second guessed myself even though most of what I found says the 2400 would work fine and that anything over would downclock. I'm not new to purchasing ram or computers but 2400, 2666 and 3200 being options after looking up ram options on Crucial's site with the model number had me wondering.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I am in the same boat. I am boosting my laptop to 64gb of ram and a new evo 960 2tb ssd. I have to purchase higher clockspeeds than what I have now, but it will just run at the fastest that my notebook will allow.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think its better to use 2667MHz since Dell will not allow to POST. You could try 16GB 3200MHz or 2800MHz but for 32GB+ BIOS will fallback to 2667/2400MHz.

5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I have checked in on the forums.

My 7577 wasn't running too crazy hot or anything, but definitely not as cool as when I first bought it, so I finally cracked it open to clean out the fans and do a re-paste in addition to upgrading to 32GB ram (2 x 16GB).

Only problem is I forgot to check my core temp differentials prior to the work I did. My temps overall are fine, certainly improved, but I can't remember if my core differentials were always so high/variable. At idle the delta from lowest to highest core seems to be about 5C. Under heavy synthetic loads such as Prime95, there seems to be about 10C sometimes hitting up to a 13C delta.

Either way, zero throttling from both CPU and GPU after running Prime95 and Kombustor stress test "(GL) msi-02 (PhysX4 GPU - hard @ 3840x2160) simultaneously for 90 minutes. My GPU temp very slowly climbed towards 80 but never quite made it to 80. My CPU was pushing around 88-89C after the heat soak had a chance to set in. MSI Afterburner was showing about 42-44 watts power usage for CPU (-145.6mv UV) GPU was basically at 99% usage the entire time and CPU was at 100% usage the entire time.

Unfortunately my fans still like to stay running when I am just doing my usual desktop stuff like internet browsing, Discord, some coding, etc... Maybe it is finally time to mess with that dell fan utility I have toyed with once or twice in the past that one of our members here has a thread for. (FWIW, I run my 7577's 4k screen @ 1080p 100% scale, I have a main 4k monitor that runs at 4k, 100% scale via HDMI, and a 3rd sub monitor @ 1600 x 900 running from a USB-C dongle with an HDMI port on it. I have my GTX1060 always on and running my desktop because it is snappier that way. I set my Throttle Stop profiles up as if my machine were a desktop, so I know all of the above contributes to fans not wanting to shut off.)

Right now I am idling at 56C GPU /54C CPU with the fans at 3000 ish RPMs while typing this. Since repasting my GPU and CPU temps idle at nearly the same temps (before repasting I want to say there was about a 10C difference with my CPU idling around 60ish and GPU around 50ish), but my CPU temps fluctuate much quicker than my GPU temps (as expected).

I made damn sure to get tight, centered contact between my heatsink and CPU die, but as the GPU and CPU are slightly different heights I couldn't manage to get them both perfect even after some bending and tweaking of my heatsink assembly and heatpipes. (I tweaked, pasted, attached heatsink assembly, detached over and over again until I was happy with the results.) Despite the GPU die having a less-tight fit than the CPU, it still seems to be doing just fine (there are both pros and cons to this really).

I have also installed thermal pad stacks all over the place to help sink additional heat to the base plate from various components. (I had good luck with reducing NVMe SSD temps this way). I think this also helps the CPU/GPU share heat between the two as well which is fine since the GPU runs cooler in these and the CPU runs hotter.

Does anyone know how to get around the 10-20 minute fan cooldown timer yet aside from brute-forcing with the Dell fan utility I mentioned earlier? If I heat my system up enough to spin up the fans to their 2nd stage at around 5000 RPMs, they continue to run around 5000RPMs for about 10-20 minutes even after the load has long since gone away and the temps are back down...

Anyways, off to do some more homework. I would like to hear some of your idle temps / differentials if you got em for me.

6. Wertzius

Wertzius Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sadly even with the fan tool you can just set them at 2-3 fixed values, including just max fans. No way to make the laptop more quiet.

Maleko48 likes this.
  7. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Luckily my repaste reduced my desktop activities fan speeds down a stage, they were hanging out in the 5000 RPM range full time which was annoying. The 3000 RPM range is much more tolerable and not nearly as loud. Still though, if I do anything that heats up the CPU for a brief moment too long, it will spin up the fans to 5000 RPMs and leave them there for the next 10-20 minutes regardless.

8. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had some time to run some more tests after getting home from work today and the bottom line is, I can't seem to push my GPU over about 81C and my CPU over 89C even while running a 1080p, 4k, and 1600 x 900 set of monitors along with both Kombustor's Furry Donut in 4k and Prime 95 running 8 threads of small FFTs at the same time. This is with a -146.5mv undervolt which I have found to be a 99.99% stable UV for my machine. (Although if I am not stressing it to the absolute max with unreasonable synthetic loads, it will run 98% stable at even lower undervolts for average office, school, and lighter gaming use cases.)

At this point, my only limits are power limits which sadly I have no power to get around, short of a GPU shunt mod and/or hacked and modded BIOS, etc.

Now I am itching to buy a stock backup heatsink assembly and some heat pipes and solder to play around with modding my original heatsink assembly at this point... I'm sure I could squeeze more thermal performance out of this if I tried (and have fun along the way), but there is really no point since I am up against power limits. If I can afford it soon, I hope to grab some Fujipoly thermal pads and I may take another whack at sanding, polishing, and fine tuning the fit between the contact plates and the various chips and VRs around the CPU/GPU etc.

Anyways, I grabbed some screenshots of my stats. :)

BestThermalsTEST_Kombustor(1).jpg BestThermalsTEST_Afterburner.png BestThermalsTEST_HWiNFO64_001.png BestThermalsTEST_HWiNFO64_002.png

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020