Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. speedlever

speedlever Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A follow-up to my pending updates that wouldn't download. I left the laptop running unatttended for several hours while I tended to other business today. When I brought up the option to shut down, I was greeted with options to update and shutdown... or update and restart. So I chose the latter option. When it rebooted, I checked for updates and it was up to date and nothing was pending. It appears to have fixed itself in spite of my best attempts to help it clear the pending download hurdle that was holding up the process. Very strange! But I'm glad that mystery has resolved itself!

Edit: a couple weeks later another update hung on pending download, no matter what I did. I finally manually installed it and now the update checker comes back clean.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Maleko48 likes this.
  2. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Holy!!!!
    I may break the HWBOT world record for dual channel ram speed on Mobile Intel Core platform....
    Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2018
  3. vice1986

vice1986 Newbie

Reputations:
    That's quite impressive.

I don't suppose you would be willing to at least point us in the right direction on how to enable ram overclocking in XTU? If a few more of us knew how to do it, we could all help each other out based our own experiences. Also, is it possible with that to change the 4 core max turbo to equal that of the single core turbo speed (3.5Ghz)? I have the i5 variant and the temperatures are very good even with no undervolt (around 70c). I think the cooling solution can take it. I'd like to be able to squeeze every bit of performance possible out of the CPU. Not that I'm disappointed with it as is.

4. vice1986

vice1986 Newbie

Reputations:
    Decided to jump on a possible price error on amazon. 16GB of Crucial Ballistix 2666 for $80. Even if they honor it I have my doubts that it will even work.

5. speedlever

speedlever Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is the 7577 particular about the RAM installed?

6. vice1986

vice1986 Newbie

Reputations:
    From what I understand...it sort of seems that way. I know it's nothing like the G5/G7 where any ram that even just HAS an XMP profile won't boot at all in dual channel.

I can tell you this though, I just installed the Ballistix 2666 16GB kit and it works just fine. Downclocks to 2400 of course because of Dell's restrictions. I've noticed lately that alot of the higher performance ram is the same price or even cheaper than the standard crucial/kingston kits and the like.

Vasudev and speedlever like this.
  7. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One thing I could say that those standard kit you mentioned enjoys a steady demand due to its standardized spec and greater compatibility than higher performance (2666+) one, therefor the price are very sensitive to market price/status (ram shortage). With the high performance counterpart the seller willing to reduce their profit margins and cut the price to get rid of the stock/sell more. Just my 2 cent.

8. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I have been keeping my machine fully up to date including Dell-issued BIOSes and have not noticed any adverse effects.

Either you have a virus of some sort using your machine for mining (some websites can be infected with these and will remain actively thrashing your CPU just by keeping chrome open with the tab in the background) or some other kind of compute-heavy power virus.

OR

(far more likely imo) your heat sink lost contact with the CPU/GPU due to a hard shock that broke the contact between dies and heat sink thermal paste, general hot/heavy usage lead to dried out thermal paste, etc.

9. speedlever

speedlever Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm considering replacing my stock Toshiba NVMe 256GB m.2 drive with a Samsung 970 Pro 512GB or possibly the HP EX920 1TB NVMe m.2 drive.

I've replaced HDDs with sata SSDs in the past using an external dock connected via USB to a laptop and simply cloned the old HDD to the new SSD. Swap them out and the SSD runs like a top in the old laptop.

I'd like to think I could do the same with the NVMe m.2 drive, but don't have an external dock. If I got something like the MyDigital SSD M2X external enclosure/adapter, would I be able to accomplish the same task. (I like Macrium Reflect for cloning).
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCPCMKN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3ISMVC1FTQD6C&psc=1

Also, when I got the 7577, I changed the BIOS from RAID to ACHI and did a clean install of Win 10 Pro x64. Would I need to load any special drivers or anything for either of those 2 drives?

10. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you've done a clean install in the past then why not do it on the new drive? I'm a fan of fresh installs on new hardware, but you could use the M2X to clone the drive. No special drivers required. I'd also look into the ADATA SX8200 NVMe as you can often find them for a good price (same controller as the EX920).

Vasudev likes this.