Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have had similar experiences on stock install of Win10. It's going to come down to clock speeds, latency, drivers, background programs/processes/tasks/services, and sampling settings.

Have you cranked up your sampling settings at all at the Windows level?

Have you tried using RevoUninstaller to completely remove the driver and reinstall newest version?

Is it more exaggerated and noticeable when you unplug and run on battery?

2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No such issues here.

I hope you did a fresh install without that Killer SmartByte crap that comes preinstalled. That can cause audio stuttering in streams and also due to DPC latency spikes from it.

I always do a fresh Windows install and make sure no vendor (ie Dell, Asus etc) branded software is installed. GPU/WiFi drivers I get directly from Intel/nVidia and if Audio problems occur I get audio drivers from Realtek directly. You can also use the audio drivers from the 7588 as it’s using the same chip, not to mention those drivers have WavesMaxx as an optional install which I like and I don’t have to have WavesMaxx installed. (Realtek ALC3246 aka ALC256)

3. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes

No

Yes

What do you suggest?

Sent from my Z2 Plus using Tapatalk

Maleko48 likes this.
  4. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No smartbyte, and dell related stuff except Dell power manager.
    Can you link that Realtek drivers here?
    Thanks

Maleko48 likes this.
  5. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use the latest ones for the G7 on Dell’s site as it’s the same ALC256 chip (remarked as ALC3246), just use the support site to select the G7 driver list.

For stock Realtek: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

You might find even newer ones on Windows Catalog driver site (Microsoft’s site).

Maleko48 and vibhawa like this.
  6. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think G7's are latest.

Maleko48 likes this.
  7. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK I installed G7's drivers and now audio is much better, in half an hour observed only one sluttring(while typing on store) that also never happened next few times on recreation.
    Thanks @Aivxtla

@Maleko48 I am still curious about the third question you asked.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Maleko48 and Aivxtla like this.
  8. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For the record, the method Im using is illegal and will be patched soon as it went public. Both Dell and Intel will jump their ass on the sky....I cant disclose it right now...
    This machine using Intel Boot Guard and locked ME region, so u cant write anything or flash custom BIOS...until now...
    The latest signed ME fw for 7577 is 3425, I modded with 3460 hacked.
    If u want proof, here it is
    [​IMG]
    The only 7577 with hacked ME FW so it will allow to change all parameters the system allow (except basic things like multipliers on non K CPU). I also modded the Thunderbolt 3 FW (NVM33) with Power Delivery so it allow to charge the device via powerbank....

Maleko48 likes this.
  9. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sure how much of what I'm about to tell you applies to the newest G7 drivers, but from when I did a lot of research and testing of my own while looking into the stock audio driver issues of the 7577, I determined that there was a system-wide latency/Win10 CPU scheduler issue linked to the audio problems- it was acting like there was not enough of an audio buffer to turn the sampling up past stock Windows 10 values. To be clear the audio issues are non-existent on Windows 7.

From the research I came across online, many people pointed to dynamic clock scaling (TurboBoost, SpeedStepT, SpeedShiftT) and power-saving (C states/Windows 10 being too aggressive to save power in other areas of its management) features causing the problems to be exaggerated further. The people complaining who were especially sensitive were those trying to record professional audio streams or making music using software, etc followed by gamers and then average users. The easy solution for many of them was to simply run their CPU at maximum clock speed full-time and turn off all the above mentioned power saving and dynamic features since Win10 couldn't seem to cope with them appropriately at its core.

The audio drivers and drivers in general for Win10 have long been a pain point for this machine and many other Windows 10 machines since it is not an issue exclusive to Dells only really. It does seem to coincide with Realtek more than most other audio chip/driver manufacturers.

I also noticed when trying to reproduce these problems, that Windows audio-feedback responses actually fare the worst. For example, when you left click the audio speaker in your tray and drag the slider up or down and let go of the left click, Windows responds with a little dinging sort of a sound. That dinging response sound is where you will hear the crackling and audio disturbances the most (along with other Windows-based audio feedbacks). I usually use my function media/hotkeys which avoid those annoying Windows dings and responses so I haven't thought much about the underlying crackling issues I noticed were present. Another way I was able to reproduce these annoying quirks was by streaming audio on YouTube and turning my power saving slider to maximum power saving and then loading new tabs on chrome, opening and closing heavy programs, minimizing and maximizing windows, etc. Again, it all pointed to lack of sufficient audio buffer and Windows 10 scheduler not prioritizing audio enough. It is most exaggerated when the sampling rates were turned up to their maximum too.

It's hard to say what all else you could do or what I have done to improve mine so much on the poor drivers since my machine is tweaked in so many areas. One that could help you out though is to use Process Lasso and tweak the priorities of your audio-related services/software. If you turn the audio sampling rate back to stock, that will also get rid of the more frequent crackling issues (especially when on battery). You could also try using LatencyMon to track down problematic drivers causing high system latency. For mine it looks like the Microsoft ACPI driver is the biggest offender. There are probably some problematic Windows 10 services/tasks/settings that you could tweak as well, but those vary so much its hard to put a finger on which ones specifically.

What SSD do you have and what drivers are you running for it? I have Samsung SSDs for both my drives and use the Samsung NVMe driver rather than the default driver. Also I have my SSD in AHCI mode with its sleep settings modified to "Lowest" in order to achieve sleep states deeper than C2 which saves a good bit of power and consequently increases battery life a decent bit. There is an entire thread about how to achieve proper deep sleep states and many new laptops need the mod to achieve proper sleep states- including mine.

vibhawa likes this.
  10. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine is some SK-Hynix 128 GB ssd and I think the drivers it uses are built in within windows as no separate drivers are available at dell and OEM site.
    However G7 drivers without Maxx Audio are working best for me.
    The built in Realtek drivers(windows update ones) are still old and have low volume issues in applications other than windows.