Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. laptopnoob678

laptopnoob678 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you, will try this after.

2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's strange as this is not my experience at all. I installed most of my drivers from Dell's site on initial setup. Since then however, some have been tweaked/updated manually by me. I will have to check with some cheaper earbuds if mine does the same as what you describe. I normally use Bose QC15 over-ear phones when I game and have never noticed any annoying hissing. However I can hear when the audio chip turns on and off (to save power when no audio is being actively played) and it sometimes comes with a small pop or other audible noise- not a big enough hassle for me to want to disable power saving functionality, but I know others hate it. Windows 10 in general sucks at audio processing and it is well documented. Don't be fooled into thinking its always your hardware.

I think the keyboard on these 7577 is rock solid, unlike my last HP that was all plastic and flimsy. My only wish is that the keys themselves were larger, but then again the extra space between the keys is helpful in feeling where one ends and the next begins... so that's really just personal preference.

Let us know how Linux sounds. As I mentioned above, my audio issues are non-existent on my Windows 7 install on my 7577. I also have Ubuntu which I have not noticed any funny audio quirks on either. Windows 10 is fickle when it comes to drivers / kernel scheduler / audio buffer / cpu latency.

3. skhynix

skhynix Newbie

Reputations:
    My only point of reference is my god awful 8 year old laptop, so I'm really happy with my purchase. That audio issue was a major source of frustration though, as I had already installed loads of media/apps 2 months before the update that ruined it.. So wiping the system was my last resort.
    Let us know how the audio works on linux.

4. skhynix

skhynix Newbie

Reputations:
    The Realtek 6.0.1.8219 driver caused the problem for me, if that helps. The older drivers that were previously on dell (November) worked fine.
    The audio quality felt like it was coming from a tin can, not just the hissing.
    The intermittent audio pops only came up when I switched to the default windows audio drivers, but the sound quality was still not up to par, until I reinstalled the realtek drivers manually.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  5. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Lol, that's kinda funny, as that is the version of Realtek driver I have installed and been just fine with. I may have to check out some more recent updates and see if I like them more.

skhynix likes this.
  6. laptopnoob678

Reputations:
    Same issue with ElementaryOS :(

With Elementary, it constantly happens though. It doesn't go on and off depending on whether music is playing. It's quiet, and doesn't get louder when you increase volume, but it's just loud enough to really bother me.

I have a new SSD arriving soon, I will reinstall Windows and try to install other drivers, and maybe even try Windows 7 just to rule out software.

7. laptopnoob678

Reputations:
    Also just noticed the hissing sounds happens with the speakers too, not just earphones (it just isn't noticeable until your put your ear right up to the speaker)

Still hisses, then cuts out after a few seconds of sound stopping.

8. Maleko48

Reputations:
    If you're positive that is the case, then you may have a slightly faulty (manufacturing defect) audio chip or a ground loop isolation issue (shorted/pinched wire, incorrect routing, poor internal connection somewhere, or other piece of something touching something else it shouldnt).

Have you messed with the stock Win10 audio sampling settings at all? In my experience setting them higher than stock actually yielded poorer audio thanks to Win10 and W10 drivers involved.

alexhawker likes this.
  9. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Maleko48 I need your help. I also have that sluttering sound issue in windows 10 however no issue is there in ubuntu. Can you give me your modded drivers? Currently drivers installed are from dell dated Nov 24.
    Usually sluttering occurs on laptop spekers while playing games, on headphones its fine though. However when listening to music and performing multiple tasks(usually using windows specific things like opening explorer or settings) there is slutter on headphones also.

Thanks

Sent from my Z2 Plus using Tapatalk

10. vibhawa

vibhawa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Try any other distro like ubuntu or budgie. Elementry is having some issues with our machine. My system only lasted for 2 hrs using elementry and temps were constant at 70s.

The same situation in various installs and even after applying all upgrades.

Give others a try first.

Sent from my Z2 Plus using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.