Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. J_TaNg0

J_TaNg0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the snappy reply. I had initially thought this too, but it wasn't doing this before when I first got the laptop or when I would open these programs as far as polling the GPU and creating this constant spike. Do you use any of those programs on your 7577 (HWmoniter, GPU-Z, NV Insptr, CAM)? If so, do you have the same type of polling spikes? I can't imagine this would be unique to just my machine. I have scoured the net to see if anyone has ever encountered this. While I found a few cases, they were all desktop GPU's and in most cases a resolution was never found.

2. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just opened GPU-Z and it is what is causing that polling you are seeing in its charts. Clear as day on my machine. HWiNFO and Rainmeter were both blank for my dGPU prior to opening GPU-Z.

GPU-Z_polling.jpg

alexhawker likes this.
  3. DoctorRzepa

DoctorRzepa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where did you get drivers from? Nvidia site od Dell support page? Maybe that's the cause. Did you reinstall Windows from clean image or from Dell recovery partition?

4. Maleko48

Reputations:
    See my post above, it is caused by GPU-Z itself polling the dGPU.

alexhawker likes this.
  5. J_TaNg0

J_TaNg0 Newbie

Reputations:
    At first I used the drivers from Dells website or the support assist tool. Then a little while later, maybe a few days, I went to NVIDIA website & downloaded the most recent game ready driver at the time. I did a clean install from a sort of default image I made after I had updated and set up everything how I wanted. However you saying that jarred my memory, I made a recovery flash drive and a system image upon my purchase of the laptop and I made that image before anything else like installing programs or changing any settings, so it was just like a factory reset. I forgot that system image was on a external HD. To satisfy my curiosity I decided to do another reset with that image. This is because the issue was not happening the first couple weeks of ownership and thought maybe there was a file or something I may have added or changed to cause this.

Well upon successful re-image, no more constant memory and clock spikes. When it was reset the first time. I uploaded all drivers and just reopened apps and programs from my Z: drive
    (my second 2.5" SSD). This re-image I just did was basicly just like it came from the factory. Even though Maleko48 said he was able to replicate the issue on his end with GPU-Z. I think it may be a driver.

I ran HW mon, TS & GPU -Z and there was no constant jumps at idle or polling of GPU. I am wondering if this is happening to multiple owners they just are not realizing it because once the 1060 kicks on, all is fine with temps and clock speeds. So you would only notice if you were actively monitoring temp programs on idle and with the IGPU running the system.

So literally as I am typing the above paragraphs, I had process explorer open and I noticed that I had CAM set to start at startup. I disabled that process and opened CAM to see if CAM would give me accurate and correct clock readings as all the other ones were. No such luck, it just started happening again, the constant spikes. So now I have no clue what it is. I suspect still it may be a driver, as I just did a fresh re-image, all my settings will be at default, which will be automatic driver updates from windows. It may have downloaded something in the background in the time between me checking all my system monitoring tools and getting the readings I desired, to the time I started typing this and opened CAM to bring the constant spikes back.

I opened HWmoniter, GPU-Z, NVIDIA Inspct, HWINFO & CAM; they are all giving me the same constant spikes as before. Whereas a few hours ago, I was monitoring, NI, HWM & GPU-Z and the issue was no longer happening. I can't imagine this is normal behavior for the monitoring programs to constantly poll the GPU @ idle non stop? Even though Maleko48 was able to replicate the issue, I'm unsure if this is normal. I am not sure if its a 7577 issue, a driver issue or if this if the constant polling is actually nothing to worry about, completely normal acceptable behavior and I'm just crazy & have OCD, because this jumping up and down is driving me bonkers, haha.

I got it to stop momentarily, as you can see from my above post. Now its doing it again. I dont think its normal behavior though.

6. Maleko48

Reputations:
    You should really only be using 1 monitoring suite at a time tbh. Did you try monitoring with Afterburner or HWiNFO alone after completely closing GPU-Z?

I think you are over-analyzing this myself.

Some of the programs like HWiNFO have specific GPU-polling options that can be toggled in the settings.

Hell, even ThrottleStop can easily show you if your dGPU is being used or not. In TS's options, there are CPU/GPU/Clock boxes to check in the 'Notification' area. If you check them they will add 3 additional icons to your system tray. I have my GPU's font color set to green for its icon. When the dGPU is NOT being used, it reads 0. When the dGPU is being used, it reads out its current temp. Keep in mind the short blips of GPU-Z polling most likely won't actually show through the TS tray icon because it's so fast.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    alexhawker likes this.
  7. Jhenanne

Jhenanne Newbie

Reputations:
    Can this be swapped with a better screen? (higher refresh rate with g sync?)

8. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Better screen yes, GSYNC no. You can use Nvidia Inspector to turn on Fast Sync however.

9. mrkingdomheartsboy

mrkingdomheartsboy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think the better question is which 120hz/144hz panel can it be used with that also adjusts brightness?
    Or are all of them stuck on max brightness.

10. Berik84

Berik84 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody with Windows 10 build 17133.73? Be sure not to update to that version, after updating my audio stopped working properly (no output through the jack output on the right side of the laptop) Waves stopped working (I am using headset) and even the internal mic doesn't work. Tried drivers from Dell and directly from Realtek - didn't work either.