Dell Inspirion 7577

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sugil1844, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Spot on! The issues relating to 3rd party rebranded hardware and drivers make much more sense now- I didn't realize they were simply rebranded cards with a special software suite... Talk about raking gamers over the coals for a subpar experience. I never install that Dell SmartByte garbage either. There is no need for several overlapping QoS services imo.

Aivxtla likes this.
  2. custom90gt

custom90gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Right, but my point is that the killer card that comes in seemingly every dell laptop now functions fine. I'm not sure which APs it had issues with, but I've never had an issue in all of the airports/hotels/coffee shops/universities/hospitals/clinics/ect that I've been in.

3. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Hey @custom90gt just curious what kind of benchmarks you are getting out of FireStrike/Cinebench/CDM/ATTO on your 7577 assuming it's all dialed in by now?

4. custom90gt

Reputations:
    Hah sadly it's long gone. I went back to the XPS as I needed more portability.

Maleko48 likes this.
  5. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was mostly speaking about and being critical of the Killer software and branding aspect.

Yeah that hardware aspect was an issue on Qualcomm’s side which is said to have been fixed in later drivers though some still run into the disconnect issue. Good if it works for you as the actual hardware made by Qualcomm is pretty decent. On the flip side there are people who have issues with the 9260ac which I don’t have. Different environments and laptops can have varying outcomes.

Maleko48 and custom90gt like this.
  6. Maleko48

Reputations:
    Those scores for your (equivalently spec'd?) XPS would be cool too just for reference. Especially if you've done the mods that keep it from throttling.

7. custom90gt

Reputations:
    I wouldn't call a 1050 vs a 1060 mq equivalently spec'd but here is my XPS score:
    https://www.3dmark.com/fs/15315777

That is with a +200mhz core clock and +550mhz mem clock. No where near what my 7577 did, but temps in 3d mark never go over 71C.

Maleko48 likes this.
  8. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Here's just one.

9. J_TaNg0

J_TaNg0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm a long time admirer of this forum, but this is my first post.

I am having an issue with my GPU spiking while not under load. If I turn on HW moniter, GPU-Z or NVIDIA Inspector, the 1060 will start to jump from 0-51C in temp & core clock spiking to 139mhz and memory clock to 2000mhz none stop at idle, with no game load, just boot to desktop and no programs open or browser. It is a constant 2-5 seconds at 0 then to 200 (core) & 0 to 2000 (mem). I re-installed all the drivers, uninstalled & re-installed all the programs I had, re-installed windows, ran a hardware check, ran a virus scan, contacted Dell; who said contact NVIDIA because its a driver issue, contacted NVIDIA; who said contact Dell its a hardware issue. I am not overclocking the GPU at all and just using a HWmonitor and other programs to monitor system status'.

I have sought advice on various forums and on Reddit tech support and most say its a driver issue or simply do not know. I was just wondering if any other 7577 owners have had a similar experience with their 1060's acting like this...?

Currently I am undervolting with TS at -0.159mv and have re-pasted the CPU/GPU w/ Shin Etsu X-23 7783D. Other than that I have not done any mods to the laptop. I have tried disabling services and stopping TS, still no luck. Mainely this has me concerned because it wasn't doing this when I first got the 7577 a few months back, it just started about 3 weeks ago. There is no performance degradation or FPS loss. It's just really annoying the hell out of me and I want to fix it, but i'm at an impasse. I'm hoping someone out there has had the same issue and found a fix. It also has me concerned on the longevity of the GPU in that it may drastically shorten the life of the chip.

Below is a screen grab of GPU-Z so you can kind of get a visual of what I am talking about. Thanks in advance for any assistance and feedback.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

EDIT: I probably should have stated my model and specs and not just assumed you all knew.

Inspiron 15 7577/FHD model
    Core i5 7300HQ
    GTX 1060 MQ
    8GB HYNIX DDR4
    256 Samsung P961 NVME/OEM drive (boot)
    256 Kingston SATA 2.5 SSD (storage)
    Windows 10 Home/64bit OS

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  10. Maleko48

Reputations:
    It's most likely HWiNFO / MSI Afterburner / GPU-Z or some other monitoring software polling your dGPU periodically. Also, if one of your apps is trying to use your dGPU instead of iGPU it could be caused by that. You can try setting your global graphics present from "Auto" to the iGPU option. I would recommend going into NVIDIA control panel and selecting to show dGPU activity in your task tray. It will put an icon there that is gray when not in use and a bit colorful when something is using your dGPU.

alexhawker and Aivxtla like this.