Dell G7 7588 here!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 1, 2018.

1. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was going to but when I had my G7 completely torn down and ready, I found out I was out of CLU. So I repasted using Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut and honestly the stock paste was really well done even temps, etc. . I only gained about a -3c gain.. Liquid would likely be more worth it for maybe 4-5c more gain.. Hard to say though. I doubt i'm going to open this unit again, it took me about 2 hours and was a huge pain in my butt.

That being said, with an undervolt plus repaste.. Running Witcher3 at ultra everything CPU gets to like 68c, and GPU is at 62c. The G7 runs cool and very quiet. No throttling.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. LeapingGnome

LeapingGnome Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Heh, yeah I can see that. At least it helped some! The screen is good enough for me after calibration, but I am coming from a 7559 with its crappy TN panel so this one is a clear upgrade even if it is objectively not that great. :)

3. Voltran

Voltran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. Funkyfrenchie

Funkyfrenchie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Were you able to make any progress with brightness control? I like this panel since i saw it on Asus zephyrus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tekigun

Tekigun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For anyone looking for a 120Hz panel that allows brightness controls, I've seen suggested the CMO/Innolux N156HHE-GA1.

I've seen posts of it successfully working in the 7577, and it should be fine for the 7588 too I'm hoping. I ordered today, so I will update with positive results hopefully!

6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, I did not. I tried the EDP cable from the Asus on the Dell (do NOT do this) and it fried the video controller on the Dell. Lots of smoke/potential fire!!!

PSA: Do not use eDP cables not designed/intended for your laptop.. The power/ground wires are likely in different spots and will FRY/COOK your motherboard.

I exchanged the Dell for a MSI GS65 so I went in an entirely different direction.

7. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But it's too bad it's TN.. but yeah at least it seems to work.

Mexic00ls likes this.
  8. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If its anything like the XPS 15 9570 its the CL that is key. Try the standard Crucial Ram over the Ballistix and match the CL to what was installed.

9. spektykles

spektykles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 7577 and its very sensitive to high CL RAM, so 7588 should be the same (the only exception is stock RAM, it would run with high CL). CL19 and it wouldnt boot. Try something CL18 or lower. U could buy 2666 CL16 HyperX kit. The fastest compatible kit now is HyperX 2933 CL17 kit

Maleko48 likes this.
  10. Funkyfrenchie

Funkyfrenchie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I sent back the lappy. The LG screen is a real POS! This is unacceptable in a 2018 laptop.

It did not help that I had a LPTS IPS screen next to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk