Dell G7 7588 here!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 1, 2018.

1. timtx1

timtx1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The only issue I am aware of with the screen is the thick anti-glare reducing brightness. It is not as bright as the XPS but it's not bad.
    It is definitely better than the G7 with the LG panel.

Just did RealBench on the G7. I'm impressed. Score was 101,249. Then again at 111,685. The temps are very well managed as well, as good as the EVGA.

Arondel likes this.
  2. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My inquiry was based on one of the few reviews out there where Notebookcheck mentioned the EVGA SC15 had uneven brightness distribution, "dissapointing response times" that lead to ghosting and that the excessive matte finish resulted in a grainy display. Glad to know you don't have these issues!

3. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tested the SD card reader speed? Is it as slow as in the previous generations?

4. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    I'm curious too! The previous one barely can read 25mb/sec. The more previous one, the Inspiron 7559 could do 60-70mb/sec.
    And a 3dmark11 score with 1060maxQ and Core i5 would be awesome!

5. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Search for the 7577 with a 7700hq and a MaxQ 1060. Basically the same as the 8300h and GPU.

6. Automatikjack

Automatikjack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

My buddy picked up one of these G7s and has had problems with upgrading the ram past 8GB. Hes since ordered two 16GB kits and neither of them will boot with the second 8GB dimm installed. One kit was ordered off of Crucial's configurator and that didn't work either. Seems kinda funky, but apparently a lot of people with this machine on reddit are having the same issue. Both kits are single rank kits, any idea if single/dual rank could be an issue?

7. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it really that much cheaper to get the 8GB configuration and add RAM? In Europe it's actually more expensive and I always wonder why people do this.

8. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here in the States it’s cheaper to buy the system with the memory you want as a separate RAM purchase is very expensive.

It’s been this way here for quite awhile actually.

Aivxtla likes this.
  9. Automatikjack

Automatikjack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There was a particularly good sale on the 8GB version with a 256GB SATA SSD for $930 before tax. It was something like $250 more for the 16GB version from BestBuy that was kind of a downgrade (more ram, but a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD instead for some reason)

In particular, my buddy figured it'd be easy enough to get ram and just drop a kit in and sell the old stuff. Oddly enough he called Dell tech support to figure out if THEY at least had the 16gb kit. Dell wanted something like $300 for a 16GB kit which is pretty absurd.

Ram for notebooks isn't really THAT bad, I paid about $120 for a 16GB kit of DDR3 for my old sager laptop in 2011. Ironically it's cheaper than its desktop counterparts last time I looked which may be easier to justify since the max speed for notebook ram is 2666 right now.

10. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    16gb of sodimm at 2400Mhz+ is right around $150 for 2 x 8gb. Laptops are finicky too with RAM so stepping up to Crucial (typically has the best compatibility) is $165. It definitely has come down some now that I've had a look at it however.

2666 2 x 8gb starts at $170. That's crazy lol. In my head that should be about $70.