Dell G7 7588 here!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 1, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Or buy the G7 and replace the panel yourself should you receive the LD panel.

2. timtx1

timtx1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    True, but then than defeats the purpose of buying a budget laptop. And it's a hassle and would possibly affect warranty issues.

The SC15 calls out the display you get, which is nice so it's not a luck-of-the-draw thing.

But, if I knew for a fact that I'd get the AUO panel, it'd be a much harder choice. As of now, the only thing making me unsure of the SC15 I just ordered is the uncertainty of parts availability many years down the road.

Of course, I had my HP gaming laptop for seven years and never had to replace the battery or power supply. So maybe I'd have the same luck with the SC15.

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Woah that price on the SC 15 is a no-brainer. Buy IT!

4. timtx1

timtx1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yup. It's on the way, it'll be here Monday :) .It comes with a $50 gaming mouse and some sort of leather palm rest cover too apparently. And, it also comes with a bunch of free games. Maybe that'll get me back into gaming on a computer.

Btw, I just watched your new YouTube video on the G7. Great job! Your reviews are more thorough and more detailed than the other ones out there. You covered everything I was researching before I watched the video.

I don't play computer games now (just on a PS4 sometimes). So for me, the screen and the CPU threads matter for video/photo editing and software development. The SC15 looks like a good machine for the purpose. And with $150 in free games (their assessment of the value) and a $50 gaming mouse included (as listed on Amazon), maybe this will spike my interest in gaming on a computer again.

5. timtx1

timtx1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    As a side note, I just chatted with someone in tech support at EVGA to ask a question before I got the laptop. I got some one right away, and he was here in the U.S. I bet if I tried calling Dell tech support, it would be a different experience and I'd probably get someone in India, if they were even available at all on a Saturday. That is a nice thing about dealing with a smaller company.

But, maybe the guy at EVGA was not really here in the U.S. (it was text chat after all), and maybe Dell support would be great on a Saturday. I haven't dealt with Dell in many years.

I do know the guy I spoke with at EVGA last week was in California. I spoke to him on the phone.

Beyond the hardware, good support is a nice plus.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. timtx1

timtx1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I watched your video showing how the LCD is replaced. That's not too bad. And, it looks like the panels are around $100 or so.

I wonder if even though the SC15 only has a four-core CPU, it'll still be as good for video editing vs the six-core G7? A YouTube video I saw which just had a bunch of productivity benchmarks implied it would be significantly better for productivity tasks. Hopefull I don't regret my choice over time.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  7. B0B

B0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 7700hq is no slouch. Those who are extremely serious on time taken to render video are not looking at either solution.

The 7700hq gaming and video editing is SOLID.

You made a world record bang for the buck choice

8. timtx1

timtx1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you Bob. Good to hear.

9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Whats the fastest RAM that this laptop can support?

10. B0B

B0B Notebook Consultant

Reputations: