Dell G7 7588 here!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 1, 2018.

1. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This seems to be fairly common with any laptops that have the 8th gen processor and 10xx series graphics cards. It is an Optimus (GPU switching) issue. I actually found that installing the latest Intel graphics drivers (24.x) resolved the issue... but then Windows Update "updated" me to 23.x. I'm trying to figure out how to get it to stick on 24.x.

That's standard for a laptop with the G7's hardware. The 45W CPU and 70W GPU generate a lot of heat. If you were playing low-end games on a low-voltage CPU you are looking at about 15W total. That's a lot less heat to dissipate.

2. Roy Gao

Roy Gao Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a TB16, I know G7 cannot be powered through USBC/TB port, but I plan to use it as a dock. Unfortunately, TB16 is not compatible with G7. Too bad...

3. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. Bacunawa

Bacunawa Newbie

Reputations:
    So I've been tooling around with the colors for the LG panel. Earlier I posted that I had the gamma maxed out because I'm a big newb. I ended up having Night Light mode enabled, and that was the biggest problem I was coming across.

Now I've been tooling around with the Intel Graphics Settings. Here are my current settings and I don't have any complaints with the colors (also I'm just a regular user. not a color expert)

Screen brightness: 75%
    Intel Graphics Settings:
    Brightness: 10
    Contrast: 10
    Hue: 0
    Saturation: 25

Any pro tips about how you've optimized your LG display would be much appreciated! =D I hope this helps those who are also having difficulty with their display.

5. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Arin Faraj

Arin Faraj Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys is it normal that my cpu temperature is always above 95C while gaming it hits 100 sometimes but the weird thing is that it doesn't throttle until i start recording game play i tried undervolting but it didn't help at all

7. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    The recording may just be the straw that broke the camels back in terms of why it's throttling. Undervolting should help tremendously however. What are you using to undervolt? Perhaps there was a setting that wasn't turned on or something?

8. Arin Faraj

Arin Faraj Newbie

Reputations:
    im using throttlestop
    cpu -350mv
    cpu cache -125mv

with these settings
    [​IMG]

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Dellerator Moderator

Reputations:
    That's likely too much of an undervolt which will cause your CPU to run at a lower frequency. Try running at -125mv for both cpu and cache.

Maleko48 likes this.
  10. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a writeup on ways to alleviate the right click delay issue. In short, it is a combination of Windows 10 crap and Intel integrated GPU drivers creating problems. Check out my instructions here:

Post 1 of 2:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-inspirion-7577.808514/page-33#post-10629735

Post 2 of 2:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-inspirion-7577.808514/page-34#post-10630003

Fans staying spinning for 10 minutes after running a heavy load is pretty standard for the Dell gaming laptops. The fan profiles Dell has setup make generous use of the fans even when not necessarily needed.

You can use O&O Shutup10 to disable Windows updates. It has fine grained control over drivers vs system vs other types of updated. You'll see what I am talking about when you use it.

Get O&O Shutup10 here: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

The question is: what resolution and framerate are you trying to record at?