DELL G5 or HP OMEN 15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by haroon969, Aug 1, 2018.

1. haroon969

haroon969 Newbie

Reputations:
    both are good laptops but i cannot properly decide between the two. i am tilting towards hp omen 15 since it has a better display of 120hz but i really am not sure if that is the right choice.

2. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    omen just because the screen on g5 is so so bad

haroon969 likes this.
  3. haroon969

haroon969 Newbie

Reputations:
    But i have mostly heard of heating issues about HP laptops and i want my laptop to be durable and work quite nicely for atleast 2-3 years.

4. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're not going to escape the heat in Dell's G series either. At least the HP is serviceable as the G5 and G7 are a nightmare to teardown once you have to replace the thermal paste, which you will if you plan on keeping the machine 2-3 years like you mentioned.

6. luke1333

luke1333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you looked into clevo/prostar/sager laptop? I am trying a new one and so far so good, trying to get used to the TN/IPS screens on these new ones but it runs very smooth and cool for 8750h & a gtx 1060

7. haroon969

haroon969 Newbie

Reputations:
    i have never heard of that brand name. are they they trustworthy and durable?

8. Raphandryu

Raphandryu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why not just go for MSI GE63 or GP63 models?

9. haroon969

haroon969 Newbie

Reputations:
    hoe about GE63VR?
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1070
    16gb RAM

this barely falls under my budget and i am thinking of buying this one. is it advisable or not?

10. Raphandryu

Raphandryu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you just want it for gaming and normal usage, the laptop is straight up amazing. GTX 1070 with i7-7700HQ performs really well. There is no heating issues even at the high load on these high performance chip as there are 7 heat sinks (crazy right?). Screen (120HZ panel) is having an amazing colour accuracy as well (100% sRGB and 89% AbobeRGB) so you can do video editing (not 4k though). And RGB looks cool.

But there are few things that you have to compromise with. These things may or may not be a deal breaker for you as everyone have their own requirements but it I is important that you should know.
    Okay so the 120Hz panel is a TN panel and viewing angles are not very great.
    Speakers are straight up garbage. They don't sound good at all.
    This laptop has one of the worst battery life I've ever seen in laptops. 51Wh battery in a laptop with i7-7700HQ and GTX 1070 is really a bad idea. If you're surfing the web with half screen brightness only, you'll get around 2 hours or even less battery life. While gaming, expect 40-50 minutes only.
    If you're buying this laptop for casual gaming and main purpose is content creation, I would suggest to get the 8th gen model as more cores are better for content creation and if it is not in your budget then you can look for a version with GTX 1060 in it.
    Drives are slower in this laptop as compared to other laptops at this price range but you can always upgrade them if you want to.