Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My G3 17 with GTX 1050 came in today, it came with a Chi Mei panel which are found in the 2018 Inspiron 17 from online reviews.

I thought the AUO panel on my nephews G3 17 with GTX 1060 was the best panel possible but I does not look as good next to the Chi Mei panel on my G3 both with ICC profile applied.

The Chi Mei panel (85% brightness setting) has less brightness overall than the AUO panel (75% brightness setting) at 100% brightness setting but it's more than enough for my usage (almost no outdoor), also the Chi Mei panel has more backlight bleeding all around the edges with the bottom being the most prominent which can be a bit distracting with dark images.

Where's the Chi Mei panel shines is the color accuracy and contrast, it's looks much closer to 6500K even though both panels are using ICC profiles from NotebookCheck.

The Chi Mei panel also seems to have a different type of matte coating which feels more smooth to touch but at the same time looses a bit of clarity compared to the coating on the AUO panel, this clarity difference can only be seen if both panels are side by side displaying the same picture and you have to be really observing.

It's really a toss up between the panels IMHO...

On one hand the AUO panel has little backlight bleeding and higher brightness and on the other the Chi Mei panel has better color accuracy and higher contrast.

Right now eyes are saying the Chi Mei is better since it has less blue lighting and images look more realistic due to better color representation and contrast however I'll have to see if the high amount backlight bleeding gets really bothersome.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. Zyklon

Zyklon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    The manuals should show all the steps needed: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/g-series-15-3579-laptop/manuals

Zyklon likes this.
  4. Zyklon

Zyklon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The G3 supports CNVi WiFi cards so theoretically an Intel 9560 would be a better fit over the Intel 9260, the Intel 9462 WiFi card included with both the G3's I bought are also CNVi complaint cards.

If you cannot get an Intel 9560 card then m.2 cards such as the Intel 9260 are also compatible with this laptop, personally I ordered two Intel 9560 cards awaiting delivery for the G3's.

Update on panel:

I got a service tag for panel replacement because the Chi Mei panel had a couple of dead pixels close to center of the screen, I decided the AUO panel was better overall and requested the AUO panel as the replacement.

The technician came over yesterday and installed an AUO panel on my laptop part of the service tag request, he took 15 minutes to do and had me test out the new panel for dead pixels and satisfaction.

The newly installed AUO panel on my laptop looks nice however I'm now noticing the color temperature on my nephew's AUO panel looks pretty cool, both panels are the same exact model and just made 4 weeks apart; I'm now thinking perhaps there's a difference or defect in the connection cable used...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update on memory upgrade:

This laptop is very picky with aftermarket memory specially those that are factory overclocked, I had to return 2x8GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2666 because the laptop would simply only run them at 2400Mhz speed.

I picked up a pair of Crucial DDR4-2666 normal memory (no branding or logo stickers/heatspreaders) with 19-19-19-43 timing which matches the OEM memory timing exactly and it's working perfectly with the laptop, I ran both Memtest86+ and Memtest86 (PassMark) and both passed twice without errors.

janthe6th likes this.
  7. janthe6th

janthe6th Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    where did you purchase the ram from or do you have a link to it?

8. Gunbi

Gunbi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, hope you are all doing well,

I recently purchased a Dell G3 15 inch through the microcenter deal (Core i5 8300H and GTX 1060 Max-Q) and I'm looking to buy a good laptop cooling mat to help with thermals (plan to keep the laptop for a long time, current desktop about to turn 7 years old). I have looked at different brands, and the posts on this thread, and I'm not sure on what to choose. Generally speaking I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

I have a budget of about 25$ and I'm looking at these models:

https://www.amazon.com/HAVIT-Laptop...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0713PHFRW

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005C31HC0

They both provide over 60CFM, and seem to have good reviews, however I am not set on anything yet, which one would you guys advice me to buy, I am not closed to other possibilities.

Best Regards

9. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    [Deleted]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    further back the Havit got praise as it's fans line up nicely with the G3 holes compared to other pads. That's definitely a pro for Havit compared to the others.