Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The laptops have not arrived yet however I plan on going with 16GB Crucial Ballastix (16-18-18-18) for my newphew's GTX 1060 version and just 12GB of any ram for mine since I play heavy games on my desktop.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...=ddr4_2666_sodimm_16gb-_-20-164-055-_-Product

The memory that comes with the laptop is DDR4-2666 (19-19-19-19) so technically upgrading to the Crucial Ballastix nets a 10% gain in performance.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Laptop came in today, I'm happy with the purchase and I know my nephew will be too.

Came with Thunderbolt/USB-C/DisplayPort and AUO panel on G3 17 with GTX 1060.

Used ICC Profile from NotebookCheck and I'm happy with the results, it's not like my desktop's LG monitor with 99% sRGB but it's definitely above 90% sRGB with pretty moderate backlight bleeding, good contrast (about equal to my LG which is also an IPS) and can be comfortably used for photo/video editing.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  3. janthe6th

janthe6th Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My liquid metal experience: Very pleased! No throttle! Turbo boost on

Running AIDA64 stress both CPU & GPU 15 minutes in: CPU 90C, GPU 79C. Before LM, my CPU shoot straight up to 100 and GPU mid 80s. (I doubt I would ever need to push my CPU & GPU this hard in real life usage)
    In game: Doom: CPU low-mid 60s. GPU low-mid 60s. Probably hit 70 if I game longer. Before LM, CPU low 90s and GPU mid 80s
    Normal usage: CPU high 40s - low 50s. GPU high 40s - low 50s

I followed bob of all trades video for this process. The only difference of our 17" model is that the fans is part of the heat sink so a few more screws need to be removed to take the heat sink off.

For the 1st attempt, temps stayed the same so I opened up the laptop 2nd time and find out I applied too little liquid metal on the CPU. I notice that ONLY the middle part of the heat sink has contact with the LM. I know that I applied a very thin layer of LM across the surface with a little build up in the middle.

So I applied a little more and got the result above.

SO, I think our stock model out of the box come with a bad paste job and can be improved with normal repasting or if you are confident you can go LM

4. janthe6th

Reputations:
    hi there do you have a link or instruction to the ICC profile?

5. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    NotebookCheck review for G3 17: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G3-17-3779-i5-8300H-GTX-1050-SSD-IPS-Laptop-Review.317678.0.html

Direct link for NotebookCheck ICC profile for 17.3" AUO panel: https://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/Dell_G3_17__3779__i5-8300H_MWY7K_B173HAN.icm

_____________________________________________________________________________

NotebookCheck review for G3 15: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-G3-15-3579-i5-8300H-GTX-1050-FHD-Laptop-Review.318308.0.html

Direct link for NotebookCheck ICC profile for 15.6" LG Philips panel: https://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/4XK13_156WF6_03.icm

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    janthe6th likes this.
  6. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Been testing out stability for undervolting the CPU, looks like the i5-8300H on my nephew's G3 can do minus 190mv for both the CPU and IGP.

Tested with 3 passes of RealBench with CPU throttling down to 3.5Ghz however the GPU does not throttle and max temps at 85 degrees.

I then put the laptop through a more real world gaming scenario benchmarking Heaven 3 times with the GPU maxing out at 80 degrees while the CPU hits 95 degrees without throttling.

I'm hoping for a 10 to 15 degree drop on the CPU with the combination of re-pasting and a new laptop cooler beneath in a couple weeks (currently the stability tests were conducted with the laptop sitting on a text book), I'd be very happy and content with around 80 degrees on the CPU and 75 degrees on the GPU all said and done.

7. janthe6th

Reputations:
    wow -190 is a lot. which program do you use to undervolt? how do you undervolt the IGP?
    I'm using Throttlestop and only offseting the CPU and cache to -150.

Also, do you know if for the i5 8300H I need to uncheck BD PROCHOT and change Speed Shift EPP to 0?

8. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used XTU but just so happens some undervolt values did not apply after a restart so I'm testing it again right now with ThrottleStop, I still think minus 170 - 180 is feasible on this chip (I have a good idea when a silicon is good been overclocking for a very long time).

With ThrottleStop I just leave everything on default and just mess around in the FIVR, here's a pretty good guide (there guides for ThrottleStop in this forum): https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-t...ife-The-ThrottleStop-Guide-2017.213140.0.html

Edit:

Minus 190mv failed today with XTU uninstalled and using ThrotteStop to undervolt, minus 185mv is stable with RealBench but I decided to go with minus 180mv as long term assurance undervolt.

Update:

Laptop cooler arrived today, it's not anything high end however the fans on the cooler aligns with the intake holes under the laptop very well (I knew this before buying).

I just stress tested with RealBench using minus 180mv alongside the new laptop cooler and the CPU does not throttle anymore keep in mind this is without repaste and RealBench runs the CPU/GPU just as hot a Prime95 combined with FurMark.

With the new laptop cooler the GPU dropped by 10 degrees and the CPU (only an estimate since before the laptop cooler it was throttling in RealBench) dropped by at least 15 degrees, impressive for a inexpensive laptop cooler.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    janthe6th likes this.
  9. janthe6th

Reputations:
    which cooler did you buy?

10. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations: