Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. janthe6th

janthe6th Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there anyway to limit turbo boost to a lower clock speed like 3.0 instead of 3.9 on the i5 8300h? Turning off turboboost improved my temps greatly to 37/60 while playing Doom and still maintain 120fps.

I'm also looking into undervolting the 1060 max q. Right now it's at around 60c under load @1671 Mhz max (with CPU turbo off. It gets to like 80c with CPU turbo on). From what I see online, the max q max clock should be 1480Mhz. Not sure why it's clocked at normal 1060 speed @ 1671 Mhz.
    Anyway I was watching Bob's guide
    The goal is to have the card run at as low voltage as possible which is 800-825 mV. So since my max clock seems to be 1671 Mhz, wouldn't it make more sense to have one straight line running across at 1900 (my curve flatline at 1911 but from what I understand I can probably have the line at 1800 or 1700). Or may be 2nd dot from the left on at 1900. So this will make the GPU constant at 800mV because it will never get to 1900.

I'm new to all this stuff and still trying to make sense of everything. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: alright flat line at 1900 doesn't make sense because it's essentially OC to 1900 at 800mV.
    I think I figure out how: open up a demanding game and alt+tab. There will be a dashed line at where the max clock speed is and the dashed line will cut the curve at 1 or 2 points. In my case the line is at 1670. Ignore everything on the right of the intersection (or drag them all down to the dashed line) and only work with the ones on the left of the intersection. One by one test out what lower voltage can still maintain max speed.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. mcfart

mcfart Newbie

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity, what temps are you guys seeing when CPU is being maxed with turbo-boost on (mine is mid-high 90s)? I am not 100% against during a repaste of the CPU, but I've only repasted once before...not that comfortable with my ability to do so without ****ing something up. I should mention that I am still within the return period for mine, so I've been wondering if I should just exchange/return lol.

ps: Already tried undervolting to -135mv in Intel XTU, no temps change because I think it turbos and increases power draw, ignoring my value.

3. janthe6th

Reputations:
    Yes mine is the same. This thing is hot with turbo. Regarding undervolting: try look at our max VID value in HWmonitor. Without offsetting, your max VID will be higher. Test it with turbo on and off and you will see. (click on view -> clear min max every time you change settings)

I'm gonna try repasting liquid metal as soon as it arrive. Bob has a video on exactly that

4. janthe6th

Reputations:
    But then again I'm seeing better temps everyday. I used to see temps closer to 100 but now I'm only seeing high 80s with spikes low 90s. Two things I tried are undervolting CPU by -150mV and mess around with undervolting GPU.

5. redbullmaster

redbullmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tempted to give this laptop a try, just concerned about screen quality.
    Can anybody link me to the best screens to update in the UK.

Looking for best colour and brightness, 60hz is fine.

6. Voltran

Voltran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here's my experience on the subject.

I phoned/emailed all those retailers and all of them only had compatible panels even when they listed the exact reference of the LCD panel on their website/eBay page. Ultimately, only dallexpress.com in France actually had what I was looking for, a high-gamut, colour accurate panel, it was the Samsung LTN156HL01 but it's expensive, at a hundred quids.

On the other hand, the UK is still in the EU, so no customs taxes and VAT is already included.

7. redbullmaster

redbullmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for that information, helps a lot. :vbthumbsup:

8. Zyklon

Zyklon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone tested VR on this device (i7-8570H with 1060 max-q)? Does it run games relatively smoothly?

9. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ordered two G3 17's a couple days ago, one for myself and one for my nephew; different configurations and color.

Mine is with a i5 and 1050 and my nephews is with a i7 and 1060, I plan on re-pasting with IC Diamond or Kryonaut once the 30 days return policy expires.

I'll also try undervolting both CPU's, while both laptops will have a NotePal X3 cooler beneath them; hopefully these babies run cooler than stock.

I plan on upgrading to ram and upgrading the mechanical hard drives to a Firecuda and lastly upgrading the wireless to a Intel 9260 on both machines.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  10. Zyklon

Zyklon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I might upgrade my ram too, what did you go with?