Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    I’m asked weekly if not daily if the 17” version would do better. I have yet to state and flat out “yes”. Your post further confirms this.

I would repaste it anyway to be honest. Any new BIOS updates for that machine yet?

Undervolt the GPU via MSI Voltage Curve Editor too!

I had to do both of those AND use liquid metal to get exceptable temps on the 15” G3 under my thermal testing.

2. janthe6th

janthe6th Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Bob, do you think those laptop cooling pads with fans would help the temps? I see these pads blowing air up towards bottom of the laptop instead of sucking the air away like I originally suspect.

3. Voltran

Voltran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Try repasting first, it's easy on the G3.

You can also try underclocking with ThrottleStop, I have a G5 with a 8750H with an underclock+undervolt at 3.4 GHz for gaming , when the CPU and the GPU need to share cooling capacity. 81 C for the CPU and 78 C for the GPU when room temperature was a hot 32 C. It allows much more granularity than disabling TurboBoost.

With that said, those temperatures are too high for a 8300H, even if you lost the silicon lottery, it's possible that the cooler isn't sitting flush on the CPU, I'd check that.

B0B likes this.
  4. janthe6th

Reputations:
    I remember watching one of the reviews on youtube that there's a power option when selected will limit battery charging level to say 90% to decrease battery degradation IF YOU ARE PLUGGED IN ALL THE TIME. But I can't seem to find it?

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    The Dells that have it usually implement it in the BIOS (the Dell software in Windows can also change the BIOS settings).

I generally prefer the BIOS method.

According to the Service Manual, the G3 15" does have such an option. In the BIOS, under Power Management, Primary Battery Charge Configuration.

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/g-series-15-3579-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

janthe6th likes this.
  6. janthe6th

Reputations:
    found it under power manager. thanks

7. janthe6th

Reputations:
  8. Cappi

Cappi Newbie

Reputations:
    Throttle stop needs to be running to at all times to make the undervolting stick.

Near the end of that video he shows how to set up a task so it always runs on log in. Another alternative would be to use the Intel XTU tool but sometimes that doesn't stick when you wake your laptop from sleep.

janthe6th likes this.
  9. janthe6th

Reputations:
    what's that program he runs on game screen to see temps and clock speed? Edit: I found it MSI afterburner

Also does the video mostly applicable to i5 8300h? like unticking BD PROCHOT and change speedshift to 0 and changing CPU cache?

I think my I5 8300h is running very hot. With bios turboboost on, my temp is 54/87. With turboboost off, 45/84. Both under light tasks like watching videos and steam game downloading in the back.
    I tried playing Doom and about 15min in, GPU temp around 80 and CPU around mid 90. This is with only CPU&cache undervolting -0.145V. Yikes

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  10. Cappi

Cappi Newbie

Reputations:
    I have my i5 set to -0.165mV, I don't have Afterburner running so I don't see live updates on my temps while I play games but it's usually in the low to mid 80s. On just a CPU stress test I am in the high 70s to low 80s. Idle is usually in the high 40s for me. I also use a laptop stand since I needed one with my old laptop, it started to run in the 60s just surfing the net lol

As for BD PROCHOT and speedshift I would assume it should be applicable to the i5 as well but I'm not sure, maybe someone more knowledgeable on the CPUs can chime in. I use XTU to undervolt though I may try throttlestop and was probably going to adjust those settings too to see if it makes a difference.