Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BoB's model has TB3, and I had an agent tell me one model includes it. I think its dncwgf426s (quick order code). Must have i7 and the 1060. Specs of the dncwgf426s match up with what BoB has here. Unfortunately it's not as great a deal compared to the G7 - but I do like port layout a LOT more than the G7. You would have to buy some new ram to get to 16GB which drives cost up significantly.

2. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Noticing in OwnOrDisown's video unboxing his model has TB3 port as well - but he has the i5/1060 model. Interesting...

UPDATE: Dell Rep over chat said that any 1060 equipped G3 will have the TB3 port...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  3. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is correct! It only needs the 1060 to get the TB3 port.

I think I updated my description to reflect this a few weeks back but if not I will get it done.

Always check my description and top pinned comment as I keep updating frequently.

4. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Thanks Bob - decided to pick up the i5/1060 variant off Dell's website today. I ended up cancelling my order of the XPS15 as I'm too nervous about the performance for the price, and I already have a MBP that I love using for anything other than games.

Plan to put the 9260 WIFI in as well as a WD BLUE 3D NAND 2 TB SSD.

I've been a big eGPU user the last year, but I'm realizing nothing beats the traditional architecture for games - even though thermals and fan noise are a big win for using an external GPU. I might keep my 1070 around to use with the G3. It would be a very interesting gaming performance comparison.

I debated picking up your new favorite the HP OMEN, but the G3's understated design is more appealing. I like the left side ports as well. Power and TB3 are easy enough to hook up. I had an Alienware 13r3 last year, and loved it outside the small display, but ports in the rear can actually be less useful. They look cleaner "docked" bur are more annoying to use day to day.

I also noticed the G3 is significantly thinner than the HP Omen (that clocks in over 1"!).

B0B likes this.
  5. TwistedAndy

TwistedAndy Newbie

Reputations:
    I have bought my G3 3779 more than a week ago. It includes Core i7 8750H and GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q. It also includes one Thunderbolt 3 port.

Interesting facts: my laptop is equipped with keyboard with white characters and white backlit. The LCD panel is LP173WF4 LGD05B5. It is very decent panel, the colour accuracy is good.

The thermals are also good. Here are the results after the 30 minutes AIDA64 test (CPU+GPUs):

[​IMG]

6. Paparatsio

Paparatsio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Cappi

Cappi Newbie

Reputations:
    If I want to upgrade the wifi card should I be using a 9260 or the 9560 (since the 9462 in the G3 uses the CNVio interface)?

8. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Take your pic. I ran a 9260 in mine after awhile. Much better! Easy to find too.

Cappi likes this.
  9. Cappi

Cappi Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for info, didn't want to buy the wrong one and waste my money.

Also love the videos Bob, I live in Canada so I couldn't jump on the omen deal but I think so far I'm happy with the G3.

10. mcfart

mcfart Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys - just wondering if my G3 17 with an i5 8300H's tempretures are too high. I only bought it last week so it's still eligible for a return/exchange if so, but in CPU intensive games like BF4 and in the Intel Diagnostic Tool (CPU stress test), my 8300H hits 100c maximum temps. Undervolting the core by -0.135mv doesn't help since it just turbo boosts during the stress test, so still hits 100c. If I turn off turbo boost in the BIOS, it maxes out at 70c, but I lose a lot of performance that way...That can't be good. I know I can probably repaste, but I could also just exchange/return instead and maybe get one with better stats OOTB?