Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Dell G3's are definitely a great bang for buck this year, I've had mine for almost 4 months now and I'm very happy with it.

Somehow I feel the one I ordered from Dell directly is better built than the one I purchased for my nephew from retail (Microsoft Store).

Also the G3's support CNVi Wi-Fi cards, the newer form factors seem to be better on battery and CPU cycles, I highly recommend an Intel 9560 over the 9260 for the G3's.

I wanted to get the Intel 9560 for my new Inspiron 7580 but it does not support CNVi cards despite the fact the Inspiron 7580 was released after the G3.

2. Pesketron

Pesketron Newbie

Reputations:
    My G3 unfortunately developed a panel defect (the LG panel) and I had to return it at the Microsoft Store. Since it was still under the return period they just did a straight swap. This new machine I have now has a BOE NV15N42 panel (which also shows up as BOE07B0, something which Google cannot find anything about). This panel seems to be the same one used in Latitude 5580/90 laptops (and some others). I'm not a panel expert so I can't really say whether it's 'better' or not, although it does seem to be brighter. Probably not an improvement per se so I may wind up replacing it myself further down the line.

Was a shame to have to get the whole machine replaced because the temps were great with undervolting - this new device remains to be seen. I still need to test.