Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. Nemix77

Nemix77 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm on BIOS 1.4.0 and I prefer it over 1.2.1 (which I upgraded from), keyboard seems more responsive and performance seems improved.

This laptop has been good to me, I use it mostly for VM's and daily computing.

I lugged my G3 17 on campus for a few days during midterm, it was a pain so I'm purchasing an 14" Inspiron strictly for school.

Two things I really dislike about this laptop and maybe all Dell laptops, it's very picky with drivers (OEM drivers don't work) and picky with memory upgrade.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. Zyklon

Zyklon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wondering, what are everyone's undervolts for the i7-8750H. At -160 mV I am getting a bit of thermal throttling and power limit throttling in CS:GO.

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    PL throttling on an 8750h is almost a guarantee. It wants to pull significantly more than its typical 45watt TDP. -.125 on the Core and Cache is average and rarely can you be more aggressive on the Cache. Some far less such as the Zephyrus M at -.050 for example.

The G3 needed Undervolting on the CPU, GPU and LM to be at its best. Unless Dell gets more aggressive with their fan profile, I don't see that changing.

4. Pesketron

Pesketron Newbie

Reputations:
    I picked up a G3579 a few days ago on a very nice deal via the Microsoft Store here in Vancouver BC. 8300H, 1x8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and GTX 1050Ti.

I've already ordered an Intel 9260 card off eBay and will order an NVMe drive and matching RAM stick soonish.

So far undervolting the CPU looks to be going great, I may have won the silicon lottery here. -210mV and it's stable under load. I was using Prime95 Small FFT test for the max-heat worse-case scenario and the fans we're doing fine at keeping it around 85. Using Intel XTU's stress test it's stable for a 30-minute test with the temps hovering around 60-66. I'll need to see how things go with the 1050Ti stressed when I've undervolted that. I'll probably re-paste at some point, although I'm not confident trying LM myself.

Big thanks to Bob for your videos, they've been very helpful to me and I'll be referring to your channel more as I proceed from here!

Also in case you're wondering, it is indeed (and unfortunately) the LG panel. I'll probably be upgrading that further down the line. I'm actually happy with it as is, although I guess I would see its deficiencies in an A/B test.

B0B likes this.
  5. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome to the forum buddy! The 8300h is where it's at! Great work on progress, i'm happy to see your efforts :)

Pesketron likes this.
  6. ralba

ralba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just as curiosity has anyone tested the new 1.5.1 G3 bios? They have updated the Nvidia vbios, which can be good or not....

7. SMOKE_SKULL

SMOKE_SKULL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had my finger on the trigger for one of those too. Some reason I just couldnt bring myself to do it. I tried to sell my 7559 GTX960 on Kijiji and theres a whole bunch of 960 powered laptops on there. I cant justify giving away mine for this upgrade. Seems the 1060 chipset is making its way into more budget laptops now so I will wait another year if I have to. The screen thing kinda turned me off a bit too.

8. Pesketron

Pesketron Newbie

Reputations:
    I did a Unigine Heaven benchmark on 1.4 and then 1.5.1 (1080p, Extreme). Results were 926 and 920 respectively, so within margin of error.

9. Confiteor

Confiteor Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I wanted to know which panel models are mounted on the G3 15: I am aware of the LG LP156WF6 IPS LGD053F I know there is also a BOE but what model is it? Are there any other panels that are mounted on the G3? I'm interested because I need the panel not to use PWM and I know from the reviews that the LG is fine but I do not know the BOE Thank you

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can the g3 do vr headset work?