Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. redbullmaster

redbullmaster Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ordered one of these, hopefully I get it next week.
    Will check it out before I order a screen, but guessing I'm going to need to upgrade it.

I know this one works Zephyrus panel AUO42ED due to B0B helpful YouTube video.

Voltran recommends this Samsung LTN156HL01-201, but that's based on the G5 being the same a chassis as the 7577.
    So not 100% sure it will work on the G3? Also More money than I like to spend at £120ish

What I want to know is how do you know which panel will fit which laptop.
    will any 30 pin connection 15.6 screen work or is there more to check.

If you could source a dell XPS 9570 screen would that work?

Thanks for any feedback

2. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ordered the G3 17" during the 72hr sale. (i7/1060)
    Great deal.
    Mainly interested in upgrading the the screen, but confused on which 120hz works.
    Does anyone with the 17" know the connector pin count? I know 40pin is for 4k but I'm confused because there's a 120hz for Dell G3 3779 but 40pin listed on eBay...!?

3. redbullmaster

Reputations:
    Received this Friday, come with 8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz.

Thinking of buying a second stick to run in duel, in the Uk can anyone point me to a cheap stick that will work?
    Thanks guys

4. HyeVltg3

HyeVltg3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you order 3579 or 3779 (15 or 17)

5. redbullmaster

Reputations:
    HI,
    I ordered the 15 inch model.

6. Unknownlink

Unknownlink Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you Bob Of All Trades, it's after stumbling across this forum that I pretty much lead me down this path of what I called "sleeper laptop." I purchased a Dell G3 with an i7-8750h, 1060 max-Q, single 8gb ram stick off dell's outlet site. They were having their 11% off coupons and also 12% ebates promotion which means I ended up paying around $690 usd for this killer laptop. I did get charged tax shipping it to Washington and also another Canadian tax bringing it across the border (I was too honest, lol)

So the upgrades I've made so far
    doubling the ram with another 8gb of 2666hz speed (40 usd off ebay)
    re-pasting the gpu and liquid metal with the cpu (thanks for your advice)

what is on the way
    2x2 wifi card (20 usd off ebay)
    15.6 inch 120hz display N156HHE-GA1 REV.C3 (105.99 off ebay)

So this computer has been a fun and interesting project. Thank you again for this forum on this laptop and your videos on youtube. My sleeper build is almost complete.

7. zakazak

zakazak www.whymacsucks.com

Reputations:
    I am currently setting up a Dell G3 17 3779 and have a few questions:

It has the CMN 1738 display - Is there any .icc profile around for it?
    Should I use the drivers from the dell website or directly from Intel/nvidia/realtek? Or maybe just install the WiFi driver after a fresh Windows 10 installation and let Windows handle the driver installation through Windows update?

In case of manually installing the drivers, which one do I Need? The dell Website lists like 78000 drivers.

8. Unknownlink

Unknownlink Newbie

Reputations:
    Just an update, I upgraded my G3 panel to a Chi Mei N156HHE-GA1 REV.C3 panel. Using a spyder5 to measure, my color accuracy went from 62% sRGB, 44% NTSC and 46% AdobeRGB to 100% sRGB, 86% NTSC and 89% AdobeRGB. And yes, I can confirm that the brightness controls still works even after the upgrade.

9. ralba

ralba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm asking dell to add in next BIOS release for all G-Series laptops (G3/G5/G7) the same thermal management system as XPS line with several cooling and processor performance options, this might help us to keep better control of thermals and fan operation (Cool, Quiet, Balanced and High Performance) as there is no way as it is to control it, I updated my G3 to bios 1.4.0 and fans were crazy, had to come back to 1.3.0 to get it working properly.

If you support this idea, please leave your Kudos/Likes there to show them that there are more people interested, the more people we get involved better our odds to make it happen!

https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...nt-system-to-G3-G5-G7-BIOS/m-p/6202919#M38864

Image of what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

P.s. @B0B if you could help us to spread the word as you have a great user base it would be awesome for the community.

Thank you!!!

Nemix77 likes this.
  10. redbullmaster

Reputations:
    Would you mind uploading your color profile for this panel please.