Dell G3 in house! What do you need to know?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by B0B, May 18, 2018.

1. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    jeremyshaw likes this.
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    Does that have a similar build and venting to the 17inch model ?.

I havent looked at the 15 inch version but if so i am mostly curios how temps are and how the venting is handled if there is only intake exhaust on the bottom and no rear exhaust.

Id imagine it will be similar to the 17 if so .

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do not know how it’ll compare to the 17” model. I don’t want to assume this early in its infancy.

I just reinstalled the OS to completely remove bloat and will begin testing this weekend.

Ultimately the review should be up in a week or so.

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    I like the port layout batter than the G7 but there isnt an exhaust?

5. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Most likely, as with many modern laptops, it exhausts into the hinge area. Combined with a drop hinge, this allows the laptop to appear "exhaustless" while somewhat impeding the exhaust flow. Take a wild guess which of the major manufacturers made that design popular, lol.

That being said, drop hinges have their place, and Dell does have rear exhaust on many of their current laptops, even ones without drop hinges for the display (the current Latitude 5490 comes to mind). I think I am just a bit salty that my old Vaio S has an "unique" drop hinge and exhaust configuration that allows the system exhaust to be nearly completely obstructed by just opening the LCD panel all the way. This really works well with a 35W CPU and a ~30W GPU both sharing the same fan (with no TDP, clock, or power throttle limits). Suffice to say, the fan puts up a heroic fight to keep the laptop cool.

@B0B, congratulations on your new gaming laptop. A lab instructor had the previous "generation" of your G3, and I very much liked its appearance and design. I didn't like the tacky red accents, so I also prefer your Recon Blue color.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Just sounds like more parts that can fail no?

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    The lenovo 720s that i am currently playing with has the hinge style exhaust with a 1050ti in it and it does a pretty decent job dispelling the heat.

The only info i have seen about the G3 be it Youtube or whatever said it only has intake vents that's why i wanted to hear it from someone who actually has the machine in hand.

If it is a hinge exhaust and the heat is not blowing directly at the screen it will be fine.

Years ago i bought a Samsung laptop with a 650m in it and the heat was aimed directly onto the screen which after an hour would heat up the screen so badly it would distort the screen it self.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  8. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Intake at the bottom and exhaust at the hinge. Works remarkably well. Dell should be proud of this G3. 24 hours in and I can tell it was made with some love spite its low cost.

Excellent port selection and placement.
    Very subtle muted design.
    The Recon Blue is just silver/gray according to everyone who have seen it in person. I really like its color :)
    Quiet too!

I have some more stock and undervolt testing to do before I tear this down tomorrow.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  9. Slicksta

Slicksta Newbie

Reputations:
    No throttling then? how are the temps?

10. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Too early to state for either question.

Gaming temps hold well below their thermal throttle for Overwatch Ultra uncapped.

But hardware monitor would shows 100c on the occasional core.

What I’ve noticed it that the fan curve is a little slow to speed up and it’s quick to spool down.

Nothing crazy, just a few seconds till the fans cure temps.

Great for acoustics but it’ll give some temp spikes that need to be ignored.