Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    will there be a UHD option on any of these ?

2. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    60hz OLED UHD will be ;).

3. tochigit

tochigit Newbie

Reputations:
    could you link it? im looking for the new with 1060

4. Shadoo

Shadoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It'll be interesting to see how these fair. Hopefully some reviews contain information on the new screens and larger batteries. If the screens are comparable to what's in the GS65 and Aero 15 or if they're still cheap, and if the laptop gets decent hours on battery. I'd assume the 60hz IPS screen is the same one used in previous models, although it would be nice if they put a better one in there this time around.

Oddly the Aussie G5 store shows only one laptop preconfigured with a 144hz display (the 2nd most expensive option) while the most expensive option has a 60hz display (no in store option to upgrade) but has the 90whr battery with a mention of the 60whr battery right below it.... This part of Dell's site has always felt like a mess.

I've wanted a laptop suitable for game dev work with a nice screen and a big battery but the only options so far have been thin flimsy ones with bad cooling. I'd hope a low/mid tier model could be ordered with the (hopefully) nicer screen and bigger battery. Still working for it but when the time comes I'll try asking a Dell staff member on their store. If anyone else is doing something similar, share how it goes for you.

Trystan Baltazar likes this.
  5. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Stephen from Ownordisown did a first impressions/unboxing video of the G5 SE. He didn't seem too impressed with the system, specially after verifying that AW Command Center has only very basic controls enabled (not even RGB keyboard lighting).
    At $1800 for an 8750H (that thermal throttles), RTX 2060, FHD 60 Hz screen and a non premium build quality it doesn't seem too much of a value proposition :(

6. Trystan Baltazar

Trystan Baltazar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Yeah, it is most unfortunate. Guess I am going to either stick with the AW M15 or wait for reviews of the DELL G7, looks like the G5 has fallen off my radar, which is too bad.. I love the color scheme as well as the back panel of the G5 SE

7. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No fan control nty

8. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great spot on the vid Arondel. Quite disappointed with the results from OwnorDisown and it pretty much validates what I've been thinking already (and most other people it seems), namely that RTX is just not worth the premium price.

I've seriously considered Dell with the RTX 2060, but in the end I'm just going to wait for the GTX 1660 ti which according to recently leaked benchmarks can match the 1070 in performance. If the pricing is reasonable (and in Canada that is a big if) then I'm going to look at that option instead.

A real shame too. Dell has done so many things right with this generation in terms of build, design etc. that I really like. Nvidia has simply stuck them and all the other manufacturers with an expensive lemon.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    Arondel likes this.
  9. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just received a Dell 5590, it does feel a bit plasticky but not as bad as it sounds from OwnorDisown video in my opinion.It feels solid though and just a bit too heavy, the G7 15 might be the perfect balance.
    Out of the box the keyboard feels a bit weird but i guess i will adjust with a bit of time on it.

I'm going to test out some benchmarks and games to see how the fans and heat are handled.
    Ask away if you have specific things you're wondering about this model.

Arondel and Trystan Baltazar like this.
  10. kebabeat

kebabeat Newbie

Reputations:
    Are the temperatures that bad on it? Ownordisown claimed even with fans on full speed the cpu would reach 99c while stress testing. If you could provide temperatures during something like aida64 and furmark and while gaming we could see if it's isolated for him or not. Thanks