Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe they will use also somewhat less power without RTX cores, thus will be more efficient.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  2. Turns>Airs

Turns>Airs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can’t find reviews for the new G7 anywhere. Has anyone done a review yet? All I’ve found are hands-on videos from CES.
    Also, there is currently no option to configure the G7 with 144hz screen or the 90Whr battery (in the US anyway). I’ll ask one of the sales reps on chat (for what it’s worth), and report back.

dreamcat4 and Flying Endeavor like this.
  3. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

I have also been looking all over the place for reviews as well, but no luck.. Most of the big reviewers are focusing on the more higher end RTX equipped laptops, such as those with the RTX2080 and of course the controversies surrounding the RTX2080 Max Qs. I also hope DELL updates their website, because I would only be interested in the G7, particularly the 17 Inch if it could come with an RTX2060 and a 144HZ panel. I would also love to see more reviews of the other RTX2060 equipped laptops that DELL/Alienware has considering it is hard to get accurate performance ratings for each of them due to all the discrepansies with each of these RTX cards.

Please let us know what you find... I could also try to contact another DELL Rep if need be.

IKAS V and Turns>Airs like this.
  4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Considering how underwhelming the 2000 series Max Q cards are I think the best RTX laptops to buy are the RTX 2060/RTX 2070 models.
    More so the RTX 2060 because yo get a pretty significant boost over the GTX 1060 it replaces.
    Cmon Nvidia we waited 3 years for this.

Turns>Airs and Flying Endeavor like this.
  5. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    I concur. The RTX2060 seems like a very good deal, based on all the articles I have seen so far, the RTX2060 could be a match to the GTX1070 MAX Q and their prices are nearly identical. Although, at least for the case of the Alienware M15, as configured in the DELL US website, the RTX2060 M15 costs less than the GTX1070MaxQ equipped M15 with the same configuration. However, when I checked the RTX2060 M15 in a third party reseller, it is considerably much more expensive as compared to the variant equipped with a GTX1070MQ, not sure what is going on with that but eh.. oh wells.. I am simply put off by the RTX2060 at the moment because of a lack of reviews and solid benchmarks. There are just too many discrepansies between each laptop equipped with an RTX GPU than I am uncomfortable buying any particlar RTX2060 laptop without any solid benchmarks or performance comparisons against the GTX1070MAXQ, since I am aiming to get the most of the deal and my choices are between these two GPUs since this is what the M15 comes with if ever I decide to go for that laptop, which is very likely I would unless of course the G7 offers excellent /better performance for a lower price. :)

IKAS V and Montségur like this.
  6. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Agreed. Also the pricing for me is just way off and is tied I'm sure to Nvidia's desperation to boost its flagging revenues. The reality is that I'm a casual gamer who is willing to spend $1200-1500 CAD on decent frame rates and right now I can't see the point in moving into the $2000 range for an unproven tech with (if the rumours are to be believed) inconsistent performance at best.

That's why I loved the GTX xx60 range all the way from my first ASUS G74SX with a 560m to the Dell G5 series. Almost without exception they were between $1200-1500 CAD and offered reasonable performance for a fair price. To me the RTX has pushed the xx60 range into unreasonable pricing territory and if the GTX 1660 does not offer a good boost over the 1060 and the pricing is not in the low to mid $1000 range, I'm waiting a while for my next upgrade.

Flying Endeavor and IKAS V like this.
  7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Love the M15 but if I remember correctly it had very high CPU temps, hopefully with the new RTX cards they improved cooling all around because the GPU ran fairly cool, I’m also holding out for reviews. it seems the higher end RTX2070/2080 reviews are starting to trickle in but non so far for the RTX 2060.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  8. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:

In my case, gaming laptops are well... let's just you are VERY privileged to own a good high end gaming laptop (yet alone a gaming desktop as well, like my current set-up). In fact, the gaming laptop I am going for, the Alienware M15 as configured the way I wanted originally (GTX1070MQ, Epic Silver, 144HZ monitor, 16GB RAM) would cost upwards of 120,000 PHP, and I would also have to worry about warranties cause the local stores here have a knacking of not honoring warranties and the Bureau of Customs here would also love to get their hands on your shiny new laptop to slap a VERY hefty tax on it, even if you are simply having it shipped abroad for repairs under warranty. xD

This is hopefully going to be my first ever laptop and my most expensive investment to date. xD My relatives are questioning me heavily on why I am willing to spend so much of my hard earned money on something such as this, and technically, what I am going for is not even the highest end gaming laptop out there. So yeah, I really do not wish to make a mistake with this one, cause it would be a very expensive mistake. I do not want to make a move unless I know for sure what I am getting into and what exactly it is I am buying. Hopefully more reviews come out.. and yeah.. still waiting for more news on the GTX1660 series. I am hoping they either perform well at a decent price, or they offset the market even further causing more price drops. (A man can dream right xD )

9. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:

This, exactly this. I have seen countless reviews of the GTX1070MAXQ equipped M15, and practically all of them stated the M15 would run to 100 degrees Celsius on the CPU side, that would not do at all... That is one of the main reasons why I am really interested in these new RTX Cards, because based on the articles I've read, the new RTX Series are much more power efficient thus generating less heat while still maitaining good performance, hopefully improving the thermal output of the M15. I would like the laptop to at least last me a good 2-3 years, hopefully more.. and if it's CPU constantly runs at 100 Degrees Celsius, it might not even last a year with me. However, if there is a significant sacrifice in the actual gaming performance of the RTX2060 M15 as compared to the GTX1070MQ equipped M15.. Then I might still go for the GTX1070MQ.. you could always undervolt it to get better thermals or have the laptop repasted.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. Turns>Airs

Turns>Airs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick update: I chatted with a Dell sales rep on their website earlier today. Unfortunately, the sales rep didn't have any information about when the 90Whr battery or the 144Hz screen option would be available.
    HID evolution is a re-seller, and they're showing the 90Whr / 144Hz options as "pre-order / availability in additional 1-3 weeks".
    They may be better connected and able to provide more insight on expected time-frames.

dreamcat4 and Flying Endeavor like this.