Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That’s really interesting!! Thanks for uploading the pic. I may go with the Alienware m15 now if it’s not the max q variant.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    DELL US must have updated the specs of the G7 recently, they originally listed the 2060 in the G7 as MAX Q. They must have copy-pasted the 1060 MAX Q the G7 came with previously, causing the typo. It also appears that they have updated the Specs of the G7 on their Canadian Website as well.

Honestly, I am glad to see that the G7 would come with a full RTX2060, and I really could not wait to see how this would compare to the GTX1060 and even the GTX1070MQ both in performance and in thermals. The RTX 20 series, based on what I've seen so far, are providing better performance while also running much cooler than it's GTX 10** series counterparts. But of course, I would still have to weigh in the pricing of these new RTX equipped laptops to see if I could justify the upgrade. (But the thermals of the RTX 20 Series alone are already very impressive to me)

3. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Huzzah, I am also debating whether to get the G7 or the M15. Both laptops are very appealing to me, both for the specs and the aesthetics. DELL has really made my decision a LOT harder xD There is also the M17, which I am also interested in.

4. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So heres my problem: when I go to the Dell USA website, and click the 'configure' button on the any of these new G7 models. There are no configuration options. It's all fixed, including the 60wh battery. Cannot upgrade it to 90wh.

5. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Indeed, which is most unfortunate. The Alienware M15/M17 have a lot more customization options. I hope DELL changes this in the future, I would love to be able to freely configure my laptop however I want it.

6. Tax

Tax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1500USD and just the RTX2060? Damn, I thought that is gonna be just $999 and $1500 for the RTX1080.

dreamcat4 likes this.
  7. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm a huge Dell fan and have bought the last three iterations of the gaming Inspiron line, but for now I'm taking a pass. $2000 for an RTX 2060 smacks of gouging by Nvidia and if notebookcheck can be believed, the 35% boost doesn't really justify the price hike for me.

I applaud Dell for making several nice changes to the next generation G series, but it's just too rich for my blood. I'm going to wait until the GTX 1650, 1660 and 1660 Ti arrive and see what the price to performance ratio is with these, as well as see if any G series configurations with 2070 and 2080 show up and push the price of the 2060 machines down.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  8. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:

I am excited about those upcoming GTX16** series as well. I am hoping they would come out soon for laptops. I am really hoping to get a laptop around April or May of this year, that is when my relatives in the US would come back to the Philippines. Hoping to order one through them and so they could personally bring it here to my country to avoid exorbitant shipping costs and of course any potential mishaps or accidents when having something as fragile as a laptop shipped overseas

9. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agree, lets wait for the GTX series, for that ray tracing light I m not willing to pay either 500$ extra.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  10. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what I've seen those are more cut down than just the rtx/tensor cores so the 1660 has less cores etc than the 2060