Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CGornet

CGornet Newbie

Reputations:
    I have read that the G7 will be outfitted with the capabilities to stuff a 2080 in there as well. Talking with Dell a few minutes ago though, they do not know when that system config. will be available.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That does sound interesting, and yes, that would certainly offset the difference between the M17 and the G7 17 and just make it more of an aesthetic difference. Not sure how both chassis would perform regarding cooling however, I could not wait to see reviews of those in the future. It just seems odd that DELL would push two products that are practically the same... I do hope they add more customization options with the G7 just like with the M17. I would like to have more freedom on what I want inside my laptop. If that happens, I might as well go for the G7.. But the AW M17 still does look beautiful.. Decisons decisions... XD

3. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting to see the RTX 2060 Max Q mentioned in Dell's specs. Hadn't seen reports of a Max Q version for the RTX 2060 before. I wonder, assuming it's not a mistake, how much of a performance difference there will be with the standard RTX 2060 since the GTX 1060 Max Q was one of the closest to it's standard counterpart

4. CGornet

CGornet Newbie

Reputations:
    Originally I wanted to go with the GS75, but my current laptop is (literally) hanging on by a hinge and I need to make a pretty quick decision on what route to go. I could go with the GS65, but I am old and I primarily do CAD/CAM work, so a bigger screen would be ideal. I like the idea of a numpad as well. Little bummed the MSI won't be available until late Feb.

Like you said, decisions decisions.

5. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OLED Display is what I am really interested in

6. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Same here, I could not wait to see reviews. Although, I am hoping DELL would give us more options in the future. The G7 would be my top pick if that were to happen, surpassing their own Alienware line up in my preferences.

Arondel likes this.
  7. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:

Indeed.. So many choices.. So many new releases...

8. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where did you see it listed as the 2060 max q variant? Just asking. It doesn’t say max q when customizing on the website here in the US

9. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It does seem to list it on Dell Canada: I'll try to post the image below.

Dell.JPG

10. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To be honest, at the prices listed I'm not very happy at the options right now. I loved the i7559 and the 7577, as they offered decent specs at a reasonable price with the option of upgrading in the future.

But right now the new G5's with only 8 GB Ram and a 2060 max-q are $1800 and $1900 CAD + tax, which is a long way from what I paid for the i7559 and the 7577. Even the G5 5587 I picked up on sale with a 4K screen, i7-8750H, 16 GB Ram, 512 GB NVMe + 1 TB HDD with the 1060 max-q was $1749 + tax and that was their top-of-the-line model at the time.

Also this article from Notebookcheck is not promising when it comes to benchmarking the RTX lineup given the price to performance ratio over previous generations: see the comments after the review from siciwuwe and tmp52:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...-Laptop-GPUs-Performance-Review.401266.0.html

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019