Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Tax

Tax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So where these RTX20x0 laptops from Dell? I still did not see them on their website

2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They have not been released yet comrade. We would still have to wait till the 29th. My hunch though is that those laptops with the GPUs that indicate "Automatic Upgrade to latest Gen Graphics when shipped" are the ones equppied with the RTX 20 Series of GPUs, but that is just my opinion on it.

JKnows and HutchMcKinney like this.
  3. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’ve added the GPU specs, which are coming straight from Nvidia. 50% underclocked GPUs compared to the desktop versions, but same core counts. Still these going to be hot laptops seeing those high TDPs.

4. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can just see the throttling happening right and left. I was hoping nvidia would wait for a smaller nm process before pushing RTX mobile. Oh well.... Hope I'm wrong.

5. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm still interested in Dell's new G Series lineup, but with the appearance of GTX 1650, 1660 and 1660 Ti on the horizon I'm going to hold off for now.

$2000 for an RTX 2060 Max-q just isn't compelling enough for me to rush out and buy one, even though I really do like some of the improvements in this generation.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  6. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    I wonder when those would arrive.. I am also very much interested in them as well as what impact they would have in the current market.

7. CGornet

CGornet Newbie

Reputations:
    They are on the Dell site now.

8. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Coolio :) time to check them out. Hopefully there would be reviews for these soon.

Edit: Just checked the DELL US site for the new 17 inch G7, still no 144 hz display.. I could not wait for that option to come. Although, I am curious over how the 2060Max Q would perform.. Would it even be enough to make worthwhile use of that 144hz panel...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. CGornet

CGornet Newbie

Reputations:
    I am taking a hard look at the G7 right now. I can't really find any justification to spend the extra coin on the m17 over the G7 17". The G7 looks to be about the best system for the money.

10. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    As far as I could tell based on the choices we have currently, you could customize the M17 more as compared to the G7 and it looks like they would limit the G7 to only having a 2060 Max Q GPU, whereas you could get up to a monster RTX2080MQ in the M17. My bet is that they would reserve the higher end GPUs to the M17 and the lower end ones to the G7 to better fit the G7s budget gamer market and the M17s more premium high end gaming market. So yes.. If you would only get the RTX2060MQ.. The G7 definitely is the better package, unless you prefer the looks of the M17( I know I do), but if you want a higher end GPU.. Then the G7 is out of the equation. Either way.. Both laptops have really gotten my attention. :) Could not wait to see what DELL has in store for them in the future.. *cough* 144hz screens *cough*