Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OLED 60Hz option too (from a youtube interview)

2. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm definitely interested in these, but the pricing seems way too high on Dell Canada's website. $2000+ inc. tax for RTX 2060? And that's the cheapest?

For that amount, I'm going to hold off I think until I see some reviews that address concerns such as cooling solutions and actual frame rate benefits. I'm also a bit bummed out that the single screw back panel access seems to have been ditched and that 8gb of Ram is the norm on a lot of these models.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

How do you know that it's the 2060 in the $2000 model? On the website it says it's the 1060 but will ship with the latest

I've been holding off on a new laptop to see what the RTX models would be like, $2k with 256GB ssd, 8GB ram and a RTX 2060 seems too much. If it was at least the RTX 2070 for around the 2k mark, maybe...

I'll wait till more brands post prices and if that's normal pricing for Canada I'll see if I can snag a laptop with a 1070/1080 once the prices go down on those models.

4. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    While I like the idea of 4K OLED panels at 60Hz seems counter intuitive if your primary use is gaming.
    I’m glad there’s a 144Hz 1080P option, I just hope it’s of high quality.

5. Tax

Tax Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I only see 1060 option for the newest model for crazy high price. I wounder how low will be the one with 2080 in Outlet with discount?

6. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For me, DELL/Alienware really rocked it this CES 2019. They have unleashed so many impressive products especially for their gaming laptops... the M17/M15 Refreshed, the AREA-51M, and the incredibly improved G Series.

Originally, I did not even consider the G Series in my search for they only came with a 60HZ display, but now they can get 144HZ displays as well as RTX 20 series GPUs. Now I am more torn on what laptop I should buy, there are so many options. Fore Dell, there is the Alienware M15/M17 (whose overall looks are very pleasing to me) then you have the G series with improved displays and GPUs, but hopefully staying well within reasonable price. Although, I am still debating whether or not RTX would be a worthwhile upgrade over the GTX 10 series, hopefully there are full customizable options available for all of these. I really want to configure these how I want them and hopefully be able to cut the price on stuff I do not need. So many choices from DELL, yet alone other companies.. xD

Sigh... this embargo though... I could not wait to see the reviews on all these new devices and see which ones offers the best bang for my buck and of course, appeals to me the most.

7. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have to admit it was a pleasant surprise with the new G series.Did not expect a refresh this quick but so far it’s a huge improvement from last gen.

8. dander

dander Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hopefully it's not let down by a less than average software side *coughs in XPS*

9. JKnows

JKnows Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would be good, if they would let me configure the main components, like what CPU with what GPU...

10. Jack_D098

Jack_D098 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know why the G7 configurations with the 2070's and 144hz displays are no longer available on the dell website?