Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Those temps look bad... Even after undervolting and power throttling CPU reaches 84C. This is with -.190mV undervolt, which is never guaranteed (some people with same CPU could only undervolt to -.060mV). Dell's engineers are either too dumb or too lazy - take a look at the tiny heatsinks on the sides, I'm willing to bet $1000 that the total surface area of their fins is much smaller than same heatsinks on something like Lenovo Legion Y740, same goes for tiny side exhaust vents. Definitely not something I'd buy (unless it is priced at less than $1500).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2019
  2. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Isn’t the pricing much cheaper? On Dell Canada you can get the RTX 2070 for about $2300. Gigabyte and Razer are both near or over $3K in Canada.

3. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't taken a look at the pricing situation in Canada, to be honest. In the US, they have similar prices:

- Dell G7 15 RTX 2070 Max Q: $2329 (512 GB SSD, single-channel RAM, 90 Wh battery, 4-zone backlit keyboard)

- MSI GS65 RTX 2070 Max Q: $2399 (256 GB SSD, single-channel RAM, 82 Wh battery, per-key RGB)

- Razer Blade 15 RTX 2070 Max Q: $2400 (256 GB SSD, dual-channel RAM, 80 Wh battery, per-key RGB, 90 W GPU)

- Gigabyte Aero 15 RTX 2070 Max Q: $2399 (MSRP) / $2199 (current) (1 TB SSD, single-channel RAM, 94 Wh battery, per-key RGB, W10 Pro)

- Dell Alienware M15 RTX 2070 Max Q: $2380 (256 GB SSD, 1 TB Hybrid HDD, dual-channel RAM, 60 Wh, 4-zone backlit keyboard, 90 W GPU)

You can also get as of today the 512 GB SSD / 32 GB RAM version of the MSI GS65 for $2399 (MSRP $2599).
    Also, some channels have said Gigabyte has plans to ship all models with dual channel RAM.
    I don't think Dell has a lot on their side when competing in this price range with the G7 15.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Flying Endeavor likes this.
  4. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I guess in the US it’s a lot more options. The same razer in Canada with a 2070 is $3,200!

So far the only other option is the Lenovo Y740 that’s around the same price as the Dell.

5. justo316

justo316 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does the the G5 and G7 have Nvidia Optimus?

6. darkonex

darkonex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Got my new G7 17 a couple weeks ago and overall so far I'm loving it. I did actually originally have the one with the 2070MQ and 144Hz screen preordered but it was $400 more, and from what I saw on gaming benchmarks between the 2060 and 2070MQ the 2060 was just as fast and sometimes even faster in some games so it didn't seem worth the premium so cancelled that and got the RTX 2060 / 60Hz one. Instead I put that money into a 2nd stick of 16GB RAM, a Samung 970 Evo Plus NVME, and Crucial MX500 2TB SSD for game installs. I really would like to try a 144Hz panel so sometimes I wish I had done that but I haven't ever used anything over 60Hz so I don't know what I'm missing so guess that helps lol. I'm just happy that I can max out any game and run a solid 60fps so far I haven't ran into one that wouldn't. My CPU temp seems to stay at 80C or below when gaming, the fans get loud when gaming but when not it's really quiet. I've been running MSI Afterburner to watch my temps and stuff and it doesn't really seem like the CPU is throttling, seems to stay at 3.9Ghz while gaming so that's good? The keyboard is really cool looking and solid, I have no backlight bleed except a very tiny area in the very top right and can only be seen on a pitch black screen and no dead/stuck pixels that I've found so that's really awesome. Overall, very happy with this and with my drive/ram upgrades it still cost me less than $2k for the best PC I've ever owned specwise. I really liked the looks of that Lenovo Y740 but with upgraded storage and such it was just going to be way too much money for me.

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    2070 Max-q is always faster if the test is done properly, using same drivers and same RAM. Sometimes up to 50% faster when counting minimum framerate:

Of course, if you really like what you got - it doesn't matter ;-)

8. darkonex

darkonex Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ya I watched that video, on the raytracing enabled benches that 2070MQ beats it by a good margin but still under 60fps so I probably wouldn't even be playing wiht that enabled anyway on a 2070MQ. On the normal very high settings they are mostly neck and neck. Also I don't think the Dell G7 144Hz has gsync enabled, from what I can tell it doesn't so if my thinking is right, if I couldn't have been playing games at 144Hz and had to turn on vsync, wouldn't it have halved my fps anyway or am I thinking wrong on that?

9. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know whether the 5590 (special white edition and the black one) supports 4 lanes of thunderbolt?

EDIT:

If anyone's interested, I got information from a sales representative that it's 2 lanes for thunderbolt in the G5.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  10. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Never understand Dells thinking, they now have the UHD option with the G5 and only with the 1060 GPU.

can't seem to get it with the 2060.