Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Turns>Airs

Turns>Airs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Quick question-
    If pricing were similar, would you go G7 w/ 2070MQ, 144Hz, 512, 16 GB ram, 90Whr (assume swapping out/adding ram to become dual channel),
    OR
    M15 w/ same specs except for 2060 instead?

I'll ask same question in M15 thread. Mods- I hope that's ok

2. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If anyone has a G5 or G7 can you please try the 240W power adapter (if available) to verify if the power drain is still there? The lowered TDP on disconnected battery is quite concerning considering that after 3-4 years it may not be good to support the system (ie. provide additional power up until 20% remaining).

3. TechnoWhore

TechnoWhore Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a laptop, and the G7 seems a bargain at that price point. But yeah having to use the battery to supplement these mid range specs is disturbing. After watching the Ownordisown vid several things seem clear to me. The thermal cooling looks poor, why would they only have relatively small bottom side vents (the G5s are even smaller), that makes no sense to me. Surely the easiest way to help cooling is to allow more airflow to the CPU and GPU, but the ones on the G-series look absurdly inadequate. The next is why would dell config a power supply that isn't sufficient for the hardware to reach its potential.

It seems the power supply is deliberate because the thermal cooling is terrible, and the high temps are causing power throttling even with the gimped power. Imagine what would happen with a 240W PSU, you would have to undervolt the CPU even more to play anything decent. So if you have to undervolt to lower the watt requirement to prevent throttling, Dell obviously thought why supply a 240W PSU if you have to reduce the watts below the supplied 180W one anyway. In that respect a 240W would be pointless. Maybe that is their logic.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  4. sharpman

Reputations:
    I don't think that's the case since the battery supplements for decreased power adapter wattage. The Alienware m15 also had power drain and after switching to a 240W one it disappeared. Maybe they just have more of them in stock or slow battery drain is a way of keeping it from malfunctioning, but that's just speculations from my side. If I were to get one I would as for a bigger PSU or get one separately.

As for the cooling solution I think the air vents indeed should be bigger, but keep in mind that the G5, G7 and the Alienware m15 keep the turbo boost clock at maximum level almost all of the time. It's a different strategy than other laptop manufacturers, who limit it to safer levels (thermally). I do not know what will happen to them in a year or two of such usage as I plan on using them for at least 4 years (with warranty extended), but I do believe had they limited the CPU clocks, the temperatures would be a lot lower. It's a maximum performance approach, will it be good, only time will show.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. tochigit

tochigit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Should i change my new HIDEVOLUTION MSi gp63 1060 120hz for a the new New Dell G5 15 Gaming with rtx 2060 , 60hz $1,147.49 for this dell?

6. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Why would you do that? 2060 is a waste with 60 Hz display unless you want to rely on external display for gaming.

7. sharpman

Reputations:
    Why is it a waste? That depends what games are going to be played, some won't go much over 60 while others (e-sports) will. I would look at the build quality and cooling solution first as well as the actual screen quality.

8. tochigit

tochigit Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thats why im asking :p

9. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In Canada the configuration options seem to have stopped. Can no longer change hdd or battery. So weird...

10. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @OWNORDISOWN has uploaded his review of the Dell G7 w/ RTX 2070 Max Q. It seems his opinion of the system is above that of the Dell G5.
    It seems the G7 does not drain the battery as the G5 did, temperatures are manageable after software tuning (undervolting, etc.) and fans aren't so loud.
    I find the pricing for this version hard to justify still, though. It's in Gigabyte Aero 15 / MSI GS65 / Razer Blade 15 territory.