Dell G Series Gaming laptops with up to GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6

Discussion in 'Dell' started by JKnows, Jan 11, 2019.

1. cesc21

cesc21 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll try to do those this weekend but the limited 3D Mark and Cinebench test (not the best indicator) did shoot the CPU to 95 very quick before the fans woke up and started a tornado.It recorded a maximum of 100 too.
    After that it stayed around 80/85. At full speed the fans are very loud and annoying.

I can also confirm that you don't have fan control at all on this. Base Alienware Command Center only gives you battery tuning and useless stuff that Windows can do.
    I downloaded separately the Alienware OC Control package, it installed correctly but did not enable anything except for a few seconds after reboot.
    I could see the new tab that you have on Alienware systems but once the loading completes, the tab vanishes...
    In the installation files there is a Dell G5 5590 folder though; maybe an update will bring it to life ?

I also quickly tried to open it, removed every screws and the panel would not come off, might need a prying tool, it's very tightely fitted.

2. TechnoWhore

TechnoWhore Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As I understand it the proper refresh of the G-series is later this year, which would explain why RBG per key, OLED screen, and fan control are not available yet despite being displayed at CES 2019 (bar the fan control). I mean the RTX 2080 isn't even on the G-series website yet.

3. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I didn't see specifically any per-key rgb on any of the G-series units being demoed during the typical CES 2019 coverage. It was zoned rgb.

BTW the dell rep who was talking there said the only difference between G5 and G7 was the chassis material (plastic vs metal). Which would suggest that the thermals on the G7 might be the same. But I am not certain if the dell rep was making such accurate statements as to be sure of that.

Also I am wondering why there are still no good review of the G7 yet. It has been a fair while now. And why it's so expensive and yet, with only a 60hz panel? What the heck are they doing over there? It all seems like a bit of a mess and does not instil much confidence.

Flying Endeavor and Turns>Airs like this.
  4. Turns>Airs

Turns>Airs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, it’s been a bit of a head-scratcher. I don’t think there are any G7s out in the wild yet. “Own Or Disown” has an unboxing and a gaming review of the G5 on YouTube. In the comment section he mentions that he’ll have a full review posted later this week. But the initial results look like the G5 is having real problems keeping the 8750H cool. It definitely has me worried for the G7. He said his G7 should arrive soon, so hopefully we’ll see a G7 review from him in the next week or 2. The problem I’m seeing with the G7 is that it gets awefully close to Alienware M15 pricing. The M15 runs hot too, but I would expect it has better “support” and probably better overall build quality/performance.
    I’m getting a little discouraged though- I need a num-pad, big battery, and a chassis that’s “reserved” enough for the conference room. The G5/G7 tick those boxes, the M15 would work, but I’d have to vinyl over the alien head on the lid. The MSI GS75 seemed like a good candidate, but Linus showed the body still had “A LOT” of flex. I can wait a little longer, but I really need to place an order in the next 10-14 days.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  5. heraldo_jones

heraldo_jones Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. Turns>Airs

Turns>Airs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't understand why the configuration options for the G7 are so limited. You can't spec the 2060 with a 144hz screen. You have to jump from $1630 with 2060 all the way up to $2330 with 2070mq in order to get the 144 screen. Their component upgrade prices are pretty frothy (to put it mildly). But even so, I'd still be willing to bite the bullet on their SSD, battery, and screen upgrade price. But I have to draw the line at the add'l $400 for a maxq gpu that may not perform much better than the 2060. I guess I'll have to wait for own or disown's full review.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  7. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Own or disown put up a new video with the G7. So full review is coming. One thing that worries me immediately is his comment on the power supply. It comes with the 180 watt power supply which isn’t enough.

Flying Endeavor and Turns>Airs like this.
  8. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not enough on the G5 , will be the same for the G7 with your battery draining under load or gaming.
    Stupid decisions by Dell have made the new G series go from budget kings for gamers to AW wannabes with high prices while running hot unless you want to be blasting the extremely loud fans.
    When I first heard about the refresh of the G series I was very excited about the potential but like always reality finds a way to slap us in the face.

Arondel likes this.
  9. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I find the pricing hard to believe. If we were talking about a ~$1500-1600 machine then it would be trading blows with others in its category (Lenovo Y740, Clevo P960ED, TongFang GK5CP0Z/ GK7CP0S, Aorus 15, Asus GL504/704, etc.) Instead, it's playing out of its league competing against (and loosing in most cases) with the MSI GS65/75, Razer Blade 15, Gigabyte Aero 15 and even the Alienware M15. It's pricing itself out the race, which I find very confusing to say the least.
    Also, the battery drain problem (or "feature" as we could see it called) is unacceptable, in my opinion.

Montségur likes this.
  10. Montségur

Montségur Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This^^. In Canada I'm now seeing that the G5's and the G7's are being priced bizarrely to say the least. A GTX 1660 ti laptop starts at $1849, exactly the same price as an RTX 2060 laptop and goes up quickly from there. Meanwhile the 1050 ti is still being trotted out as high as $1649 which is madness, considering that you can go almost anywhere and find 1060's for that price or lower.

I'm afraid I've moved on already. By the time these prices sort themselves out (if they do) and the 1660 is priced as it should be, it would be too late for me. I've already found an MSI with an i7-8750 and a full GTX 1070 for roughly the same price as a Dell RTX 2060. Very disappointed with this fiasco and I blame Nvidia, not Dell.

Arondel likes this.