DELL D505 or D500?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by rtknecro, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk1780

tk1780 Newbie

Reputations:
    Tom's Hardware Guide just did a review on the D505 with a Celeron M and Pentium M.

Conclusion:

No real difference in performance.

Pentium M had 4 hour battery life while the Celeron M had 3.

2. TheShaman

TheShaman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I highly recommend that everyone read this article at Tom's:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040309/index.html
    What they're saying goes beyond "very little difference" between the two processors. From what I understand, they are the exact same chip with the CM running half the on die cache and the PM getting extra firmware.
    I find it unfortunate that Intel has decided to slap the Celeron moniker on this one, because I see little to associate it with the less-than-stellar standard Celeron chips.

3. neosynthesis

neosynthesis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>Originally posted by Brian

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. tk1780

tk1780 Newbie

Reputations:
    There is an interesting article this morning regarding LCD power consumption.

Intel and Taiwan’s Toppoly Optoelectronics, a subsidiary of Compal Electronics, have successfully developed LCD panels for mobile PC applications that consume less than three watts

Current (hopefully no pun intended) LCD panel consume about 10 watts.

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2004/04/01&pages=PR&seq=202

They hope to have these screens out this year. If so, this will be a huge breakthrough for battery life.

If the average battery is about 50 watt-hours, then a laptop consuming 15 watts an hour would last about 3 hrs. However, if you reduce watts used by 7 because of the new screen then that same laptop would consume only 8 watts per hour and last 6 hrs.

That is huge for those who buy laptops for mobility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.