Dell Confirms Upcoming XPS M1330 and Dell Inspiron 1420, 1520 and 1720 Laptops

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ltcommander_data

ltcommander_data Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thankfully, it looks like they are using small, flush webcams like Apple uses. I've never understood why everyone always had their webcams in a bump. Granted some of those doubled as a handle, but many just seemed to do it to make sure you didn't miss that there was a webcam and that was unnecessary.

It's good that the E1420 has the 8400M option. I considered the E1405 briefly before because of the pricing, but the restriction of IGP killed it for me. Plus the E1405 was overweight considering it is 14" yet 5.3lbs while my MBP is a 5.6lbs yet a 15.4". Hopefully, the E1420 is much lighter since the new MBP is 5.4lbs.

2. Znender

Znender Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah... Didn't notice the keyboard layout.
    The new Inspiron lineup really does look like last gen Toshibas with the current gen Toshiba keyboards ( Silver Keys ).

But the specs for the Dell surpasses the Toshibas and hopefully it can pull out cheaper.
    However for build quality, I'm sure it'd come out as the same as the Toshibas.

3. Jaymz

Jaymz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OMG.. 1420 please come with the 8400GT and you're my FZ killer ! :D

4. Csalbertcs

Csalbertcs Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The XPS M1330 looks great. And I do not mind the looks of a computer, I look more into its performance. That being said, the 1520/1521 is definately going to be my next gen pc.

5. nikasp

nikasp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is a mic, or dual mics, if you look at #14 in the pictures posted. One on each side of the webcam. I lacked webcam, IrDA and built in mic on the 6400 and 420 so I will absolutely buy either the 1420 or 1520. I don't think the new design is ugly but could be better. Fingerprint reader is a business thing. Why would you want that on a computer sitting at home? It's not like I would leave my laptop unattended at Starbucks or similar. Optical bay on the right - why is that bad? My T60 also has that setup. I can agree on the VGA port. Should be in the back.

I actually value my past experience with Dell's support people. I had a stationary machine with some problems over 2½ years. They were good and quick and helpful. I also find the Dell forum very good. Unless everything I mentioned here I would have bought an ASUS right away. IBM is great (have a T60 for work) but is too expensive/specs compared to an Inspiron.

6. paddlefoot

paddlefoot Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    But you would have to think, is there really any point of introducing a new XPS 17" model before the 8800M series are announced?

7. noxxle99

noxxle99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What size of battery can we expect the m1330 to have and still be only 4lbs? Im guessing a 4-cell. Probably 2-3 hours battery life?

8. pogiboi

pogiboi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The original post is incorrect when saying the 1520 will have UXGA. The 1520 will NOT have UXGA.

9. Jaymz

Jaymz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    you're damn right! will have WUXGA ! :D

10. X-29

X-29 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Exactly. Rumors (ONLY RUMORS) say that Dell will be launching the 8800M with Nvidia in the XPS M1720.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.