Dell B1165nfw Per Profile Settings

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ViciousXUSMC, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    So yeah... I just visited Printer Forums, featuring discussions on printers and print technologies of all types to see if I should post there and the place was so empty that it was like a dry desert pulling all the moisture out of my body and was activly seeking to steal my soul.

This is an enterprise IT question for anybody that has had the pleasure of working with a Dell printer in a multi-user environment.

I need to make a big purchase here soon for about 40 printer/scanner combos and one of the really big things I need is a 1 Button push scan to PDF and also I need to setup the scan to file path for all current and new users. Most software suites set per-user settings but I am looking to see if Dell supports "All User" configurations.

The Fujitsu scanner they want to order does this, but why pay $400 for a scanner and $125 for a basic printer when I can pay $150 for the printer/scanner combo.

I imagine I can hack this with scripting to edit a config file or registry and I'll look into that if needed but it would be nice up front to see if this is supported out of the box, and if its not any insight on easy fixes.

Regards,

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Most Dell business grade printers use PaperPort. You will LOVE dealing with that from an IT standpoint.

For the price you want, you will not get such one-touch scan functionality.

Hell, we have full sized MFP copiers and those don't even get one-touch scan. You have to press scan, then press the shared folder to scan it to, then START.

3. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I got hands on with one today in the field.

It definitely wont work, so next printer model I will see if they can order to test is the B2375dfw as it has SMB network scanning like the big models have.

I'll just outline what I found on the B1165nwf incase anybody is interested.

The software for config is Printer Manager (and for the actual scanning software its Dell Scan Maager or Somthing Office didn't see any PaperPort download) and first thing you have to do is go into advance mode and enable scan from device. Without this on first the scanner won't even give you the option to scan to PC.
    Then you can set your file path, format, size, etc.

It makes you for some crazy reason create a Scan ID so I just used the one that was already populated on this system.

Log into another user and... just like that new profile = new settings as I expected. What I did not expect though is that the Scan to PC feature is turned off as well. It has to be enabled for each user.

So I enable it and copy all the same settings as I did for the first profile, including the Scan ID and.. It fails telling me I must use a uniqe Scan ID!
    So I put a different ID in and test. It scans and works.

Next I start my admin/hacky stuff and look for where the settings are stored. Found them in AppData/Roaming

If you copy all the settings over to another profile, sure enough all the settings are set for that user if you go into the Print Manager, but it does not turn on the Scan to PC feature automatically so there must be a driver level setting or a registry setting in conjunction with all the actual .xml files in the AppData that contains the config settings.

If I try to turn it on, it messes up a few times because it things its "already set" and even if I forced it on I think it would error me out with that non unique Scan ID.

Since it was not very simple to scan (long wait for connection phase, and then several OK's to next through all the scan parameters (No option to have it always be a default) it wont work for my environment. So I did not bother to look in the registry to see if I can turn on the scan feature and force the same ID for multiple profiles.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Yeah, but are your users scanning direct to terminal our to an ftp/share drive folder?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.