Dell and Microsoft ranked among the world's most ethical companies.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by don_svetlio, Mar 14, 2017.

1. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    http://worldsmostethicalcompanies.ethisphere.com/honorees/

Since 2007, Ethisphere has honored those companies who recognize their role in society to influence and drive positive change in the business community and societies around the world. These companies also consider the impact of their actions on their employees, investors, customers and other key stakeholders and leverage values and a culture of integrity as the underpinnings to the decisions they make each day.

The 124 2017 honorees span five continents, 19 countries and 52 industry sectors. Among the 2017 list are 13 eleven-time honorees and 8 first-time honorees.

For the first time, we are offering “early insight” into the data from the World’s Most Ethical Companies® (WMEC). The insight is focused on three key areas where we saw appreciable change or interesting developments during this year’s WMEC process.

-Ethisphere

Today, they announced the list of the most ethical businesses and corporations. Dell and Microsoft are some of the ones mentioned. Unsurprisingly, companies with poor customer support and practices aren't mentioned. *cough* Min Tang *cough*

bloodhawk likes this.
  2. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think there's some US bias in that list!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    Microsoft. The company that data mines your PC unscrupulously, forces driver and system updates, spams your system with OneDrive, and tricks you into installing their latest OS against your best wishes? Alrighty then. If they are the most ethical, we are in a world of hurt. But I think we already knew this.

Convel, Fishon, Gabrielgvs and 3 others like this.
  4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Pay 100-200 bucks for an OS and still get ads... GG.

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, at least Dell are better :D

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    The weird thing is that it's funny that ethics-centric companies aren't on the top. Like, I'd expect an organization like PETA or something (not that I support PETA).

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I think this award is more about "do they sue the federal government to stop enforcement of the Muslim ban" and "do they treat minority and female employees fairly" and less about "do they include pop-up ads in their software." For most laypeople, the latter simply isn't an "ethics" issue.

This is an ethics-in-business award, and a "company" is a commercial business. PETA may be a "corporation" in the literal sense, but it's not a commercial business, and it's not "in business" in the way Microsoft, Dell, Nike, etc are.

Also, PETA is annoying as heck, and pretty darned ineffective, when compared to other social justice advocacy organizations.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2017
    Fishon and Gabrielgvs like this.
  8. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Absolutely. The organization has only ten years in existence, and defines "ethical" according to their own framework. At the end of the day, anyone can form their own entity and bestow whatever "awards" they wish. Often however, these are headed by individuals with vested political or economic interests in other entities. If people became empowered to form their own opinions based on substantive factors, we may not have found ourselves in the "world of hurt" as it is described by Wingnut.

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Just for the record, I also think of "ethics" as more about employee treatment and community involvement, and all the godawful ads in Win10 and the like aren't remotely a "corporate ethics" issue in my mind. I'm pretty underwhelmed by Microsoft products right now, but I certainly consider the company absolutely excellent when it comes to corporate ethics. In contrast, Uber may do a great job of serving its customers, but I consider its corporate ethics to be rock-bottom.

I don't think there's anything wrong/biased/sinister about this organization defining corporate ethics the way it does.

10. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't either, necessarily. What I would suggest to anyone however, is to take such accolades with a contextual grain of salt with the aforementioned reasoning in mind.

Jarhead likes this.