Dell 9100 review from me too

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sequoia225, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sequoia225

Sequoia225 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well since you are not answering any question I had as I didnt have one, and youre just giving me your opinion, I will respond with an equally pointless post to this topic.

I opted for the SXGA screen cause I had already gone over my spending plan and I was more interested in speed than the highest resolution. I dont feel I need the UXGA esp if Im just going to be "turning it off" by switching resolution. And can someone prove to me that its going to not tax the machine more and slow it down with the UXGA?? I dont need that either. Not to mention the problem thats been mentioned on another Dell line with the UXGA flickering with no fix for the problem. Thats a risk for a cost that I dont feel I need. And Im NOT new at laptops. The SXGA is all I need - in my opinion. Besides, I already asked a question here regarding screens and I didnt see you respond then. Im happy with my choice.

Regarding the DVD/RW, I DID get that drive and listed it here as a CD/DVD burner. I thought that would make it quite clear that it burns both DVDs and CDs as the other option only burns CDs to my knowledge. But I apparently didnt make it obvious enough for you kronie. Sorry.

As for the drive speed, I plan on running music software that requires a minimum 7200 speed drive and why not get the latest technology available, as thats what you preach regarding screen resolution despite what people are saying they want to look at.

And finally regarding the wireless card option. It was an 18 dollar difference. I figured what the hell. Id hate to need "a" once and not have it for 18 dollars on my $2300 dollar laptop.

So there you have it.

I imagine you can now tell me about things you purchase after the fact and then I can tell you what I thought you should have done......

But I bet you wouldnt really care at that point. [:)]

2. Brian

Brian Working at 486 Speed NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    LCDs should never be used in a non-native resolution. The end result is garbage, so when purchasing a notebook, be sure to buy the res you plan on using. A high res screen looks like crap at lower resolutions.

Editor in Chief http://www.bargainPDA.com and http://www.SPOTstop.com

3. Point and Laugh

Point and Laugh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey congrats on the purchase. I recently ordered one too--right before they changed the promotions around. I looked around the site the next day and saw that they a 512 mb RAM upgrade for free, but took out the free 60GB HD offer that I had on my order. It looks like the main things that Dell switches around during these promotions are the HD and RAM upgrades; sometimes they throw in the free DVD/RW. However, if you look closely at the types of free upgrades they offer, you'll see the free component is an inferior version of what they usually offer. In other words, they don't offer the free 400mhz 512mb RAM upgrade, only the 333mhz. Nor do they offer the free 7200rpm 60GB upgrade, only the regular one. Tricksy hobbitses, those Dell guys [;)]

4. Sequoia225

Reputations:
    Ha I think you ordered the same day I did. Is your ship date this coming Friday??
    Yeah they are tricky. They also put stuff on your order that costs more and you have to really be paying attention to know its there and then when you tell the sales person you dont want it, they REALLY try to sell it to you. They really tried to sell me a surge protector that I didnt need that automatically was selected when I built the machine online. She almost had me convinced it was part of the laptop. But to their favor, I still have to say my exp with the 2 women I dealt with so far was VERY good. They have been very good to me.

Funny line about the hobbits. My boss is a huge LOTR fan here in LA and she has seen the movie about 29 times now. Thats NOT an exageration.
    I hear that line about every day.

5. v-balla6

v-balla6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,
    I bought my first laptop on 3-2-04 and it was hte 9100 baby!

specs-
    15.4 WUXGA Wide Screen
    P4 3.0
    512MB DDR SDRAM
    128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    60GB ATA HD
    24x CD/DVD combo
    1400 Dual Band WLAN card
    3 year warranty
    and all that good software!

How long do you guys think the 9100 is gonna stay strong on the market and how do you think it matches up to the Alienware jaz! oh yea I got the message from dell today that my shippment is prolonged till like april anyone else hit that problem?

6. Andrew Baxter

Andrew Baxter -

Reputations:
    Yes, others are reporting shipment delays too, the demand might have outpaced Dell's expectations it seems.

7. srdhkl

srdhkl Notebook Evangelist NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Actually,

The shipment delay may be due to the problems with the XPS as it may affect the 9100 as well.

According to some users who have contacted Dell.

Hope I am wrong!

8. galliano

galliano Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    A BIG salutations from a small country namely Singapore. [:)]
    I've been checking out this forum since i ordered my 9100 on the 8thMarch (almost 12 long painful days ago). Unfortunately, like most of you guys, its been delayed. Judging from this thread, i guess its worldwide delay. According to the DELL sales rep, the delivery date is scheduled on 21st, recieving on the 24th. Not too sure if its gonna be accurate, sure hope so though. Cant wait to test out the 9700Mobility.

Has anyone goten their new toy yet??? Waiting for personal reviews from ya guys. [;)]

9. Sequoia225

Reputations:
    Mine is still "in production" though the ship date is tomorrow but judging by these posts, I am not guessing its going to ship tomorrow.....

hmmmmmmmm

10. Morbidsoul

Morbidsoul Newbie

Reputations:
    I ordered a 9100 for my wife back on March 3rd, and its estimated shipping date was for today March 18th. I have not recieved any emails about delays, yet my order status is still in the "In Production" process. I sent an email to them hopefully getting an answer regarding shipping times. I'll let you know what they say when they reply.

She will be really bummed if it is delayed. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.