Dell 7577 Freezing up After Thermal Paste (Liquid Metal) and Thermal Pad Replacement

Discussion in 'Dell' started by johnnyde94, Oct 18, 2019.

1. johnnyde94

johnnyde94 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all how are you? I am a bit stumped here as I applied liquid metal (thermal grizzly conductonaut) and changed out the thermal pads to .3 FujuPoly Extreme pads. I used acrylic conformal coating and super 33+ tape so I do not believe there is a short as i double checked with a black light to make sure that everything was protected before i put on the tape. This worked fine originally but, I was worried that .3 would not be thick enough, so I opened up the laptop again, and applied the same type of thermal pads but a 1.0 on top of the .3. After I did this the laptop would boot up fine but after 10 min or so it would freeze up and I would have to reboot, however, temperatures are fine. I got worried that maybe 1.3 was too thick so I am waiting on .5 pads, I regret second guessing my self. Also, only half of the keyboard is lit up, but the ribbon cables look tight. Any ideas on what could be going on?

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sounds like something is loose inside. Or, your thermal pasting job is hacked. Could be more than just the CPU overheating and causing problems. This is exactly why I tell people to leave their notebooks alone when it comes to this stuff. I would pull it apart, and pretty well re do the entire job and you will see where you messed up. Hard way to learn but I am thinking thats the only way you will find out what is not right in there.