Dell 7540 - Custom Order No Drive

Discussion in 'Dell' started by IsThereLight, Apr 2, 2020.

1. IsThereLight

IsThereLight Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if you can order a Dell Precision 7540 Mobile Workstation without a hard drive and OS?

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You cannot.

3. IsThereLight

IsThereLight Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, @Aaron44126!

Thanks for the quick response, my friend!

I was looking to pick up a new machine with the IGZO display, but it requires the 6-cell battery. Unfortunately, the 6-cell battery uses up the 2.5" SSD slot, which would force me to pay an additional $160 for an already overpriced M.2 drive; technically, the total cost for the M.2 drive is $230, if you count what they are already charging for the base 2.5" 500GB 7200RPM SATA drive then add the $160 for the upgrade. It just galls me that they are charging so much, when you can buy a highly respected name brand 256GB M.2 NVME drive for $70 and an off brand for $45 on Amazon.

Further, I already have three 1TB M.2 NVME drives that I would be transplanting from one of our old laptops, so we wouldn't even be able to really take advantage of 256GB if we were forced to buy it. I suppose it could serve as an emergency backup, or maybe a Linux drive on one of our test machines, but it just seems unnecessary.

So, there is my complaint session. Thank you for being my momentary therapist. :D

For real, though, thank you for your help! I truly do appreciate it! :)